What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Deirdre
 Post subject: Re: Largo film
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:53 am 
David Bowie's nipple antennae

OK. :nod:

Sherry
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:05 am 
Professional Blonde

claire wrote:
oh crap see this is why we need the edit function for longer, i just realized i shouldn't have written a line from a new song here cuz it's a spoiler and some people might not want to know, sorry!! indy if you read this please delete the post if you think it's considered a spoiler!

If you have a problem with the edit time then post in Feedback and let us know :) That way anyone else wanting to say something also can. Then I can have a read and think and see if I need to do anything.

Please don't post a reply here on it. I may not see it.

tvldiva
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:42 am 
Feeling much better now...

Deirdre wrote:
OK. Now I'm going. I was thinking of skipping it. But this review set me straight. There's more than a few minutes of Conchords goodness to see here. I want to see "some of the most intimate musical performances you're likely to see captured on film."

You coming Vanessa? Jennifer?

Well, I'm going too! They sure do have this one in some crummy time slots. Not to mention the other theater is way out in the boonies. Oh well, this festival has always been treated like a red-headed stepchild. This festival is all about the writers and the process, not necessarily the higher profile actors. They even let directors come and speak. :shock:

Deirdre
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:25 am 

Well, we all went. :supz: And it was well worth it. My review won't be as knowledgeable as my two companions. They know A LOT about musicians and knew everyone in the film. I liked everything I saw, even though I didn't know who quite a few of them were until the credits. There were also some funny comedians.

But, what you really want to know is how was the FoTC performance. Lovely. Choice. Well done. Bret said "pastries" twice, and I loved it.

Nancy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:00 am 
Persona Non Regatta

Thanks, Deirdre! Glad to hear it was good. :nod:

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

H....
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:36 pm 

:)

poptartgirl
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:05 pm 

The director had the unenviable task of sorting through a wealth of performances recorded during a 2 1/2 year period. We met the director briefly outside the theater. I mentioned I had heard of Largo because of Neil Finn performing there. He mentioned that he had filmed Neil but Neil didn't make it into the film (tsk tsk :lol: ). When I arrived, Deirdre and Vanessa were in line right in front of singer/songwriter, David Garza. David is a performer who started out in Austin (not sure if he still lives here) but he has been a regular performer at Largo over the years.
For all you FOTC trainspotters/diehards/whatever, there's only 1 song of theirs in the film so if you do see it in the theaters, don't leave after their song, ok ? :P :wink:
This is strictly a performance oriented film - no narration or interviews. The film is meant to show what it's like to see a performance at Largo. I've been to Largo once years ago and it brought back memories of that night.
The film does not have distribution yet (as the director told us) so you may have to be a little patient before it hits your local arthouse theater. Fingers crossed that there might be a soundtrack as the quality of the performances (not just FOTC) is absolutely fantastic.

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

indigo_jones
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:51 pm 
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Quote:
When I arrived, Deirdre and Vanessa were in line right in front of singer/songwriter, David Garza.

Squeeeeeeeee! :prayer: :supz: :rock: The man has some really great music. A Texan friend of mine has raved about him over the years and has turned me into a fan.

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Deirdre
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:31 pm 

I thought it was funny that the somewhat scruffy looking gentleman who I had asked for directions ended up standing in line behind us. How awesome it was to find out he was one of the musicians in the movie. David Garza's performance was way cool and he was nice enough to answer questions and share his experiences after the film with the director.

Nancy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:09 am 
Persona Non Regatta

Wow! Sounds like a good time was had by all.
I'm still kicking myself that I learned about Largo after I moved and I never went there when I lived in LA. :bang:
Sounds like it was the most ideal spot to see and hear music. :lalala:
The new spot seems to be getting good reviews as well, although people seem to prefer the old place to the new one.

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

tvldiva
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:42 pm 

Yes, the movie was wonderful. I thought the photography was great. It was very simple, black and white, which gave a very intimate feel to all the performances. All the performances were worth watching(like Poptartgirl says- "don't leave after FOTC"). Of course, I am now facinated by Andrew Bird. Between his performance and the way he was filmed, it was wonderful and funny.

Deirdre wrote:
I thought it was funny that the somewhat scruffy looking gentleman who I had asked for directions ended up standing in line behind us. How awesome it was to find out he was one of the musicians in the movie. David Garza's performance was way cool and he was nice enough to answer questions and share his experiences after the film with the director.

I did notice him when I showed up, but I guess I just didn't think anything about it. (Actually I could only think that he needs some sunlight and a good meal! ie-too skinny). While in line, Poptartgirl asked him about the movie and he said he didn't know if he was in it. He knew he was filmed but didn't know if he made the cut. During the Q&A after the movie, he said that he had not played with those musicians previously but improve is a big thing at Largo. I wish we had a place like that around here.

Nancy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:43 am 
Persona Non Regatta

I'm surprised at that, tv. I always thought that Austin was the place for live music. And yet there's not a place for jammin'?

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

poptartgirl
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:07 pm 

Nancy Hillner wrote:
I'm surprised at that, tv. I always thought that Austin was the place for live music. And yet there's not a place for jammin'?

Austin is indeed quite the place for live music but it doesn't quite have a place like Largo. To me, Largo feels like an alternative cabaret. You could also describe it as a restaurant that happens to host live music and comedy :lol: . There's the regular residency and fixture of Jon Brion (along with the other musicians who drop by on occasion). Cactus Cafe on the Univ of Texas reminds me a bit of Largo in that it has a relaxed vibe and people really listen to the music.

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

tvldiva
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:21 am 

Yeah, what Poptartgirl said. :wink:

Largo strikes me as a very rare place, to begin with. Also, musicians are a funny bunch. For musicians to be able to get together and jam- in public and improv- is extremely rare. It takes a very confident and talented musician to be able to open themselves up like that.

Here in Austin, there is a huge music community and they do come together occasionally for benefits or hoot nights, but very rarely to jam with strangers. It's a shame, it would be so cool to have something like that around here.

Nancy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:33 am 
Persona Non Regatta

*Lightbulb goes off,eyes light up*

Maybe I'll just have to open a place in Austin! :wink:

They've moved Largo to the old Coronet Theater on La Cienega, with no tables or food, just theatre seats. So the ambience is different now, but some folks went to the First International New Zealand Festival there(starring you-know-who), and the people who were there said it was a very special night. So hopefully it will continue on in its new home for a long time.

It's too bad there's no distribution yet for the film. Here's hoping it happens so it makes it to the East Coast!

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next