It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:16 am

Brian Nesbitt/Rhys Darby

Bret and Jemaine or Jemaine and Bret answer your questions. Rhys/Brian also gets some webtime

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:13 pm

Oh, this band just gets better and better! Actually, you could probably give F o the C a run for their money in terms of comedic brilliance!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Ellen » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:59 pm

indigo_jones wrote:Oh, this band just gets better and better! Actually, you could probably give F o the C a run for their money in terms of comedic brilliance!

Not a chance. It’s like comparing a Rolls Royce to an apple cart. But I am glad we have at least one fan before we’ve actually had our first rehearsal. Very encouraging. We’ll dedicate our songs to you, Mrs. Jones-McKenzie.
Ellen
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Sherry » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:16 pm

OK, so I have been rather quiet in my thoughts on all this. I wanted to give you all a chance to read and discuss and have a bit of fun with the replies ;)

I do want to say how much I loved the part of Brian. Rhys did an amazing job with the character and it felt much more 'real' to me than the parts Bret or Jemaine played. Not always, but often. Maybe the fact he spoke more :P

Anyways, as my Bloke pointed out, we can see from these answers that Brian really was created bt Rhys. His answers to the questions posed was class. I was laughing at

Amaria asks:
I really enjoyed your character in the BBC2 Radio Show. Are you like Brian Nesbitt at all?

No Amaria, that was a character I was acting.
So although I may look and indeed sound the same as Brian, he definitely doesn't have the same gift for language and thought like what I can. I as a person am very switched on and I always get places unlike Brian who means well but never gets to the point. I guess what I'm trying to say is that whilst Brian rambles on and never really understands things I however keep to the point and manage not to confuse the situation I see myself finding. As the whole show was improvised, everything you heard just came out of what we were thinking at the time. So yes I tend to ramble on...but Brett and Jemaine don't talk much, so I had to or there'd be a lot of dead air. By the way we sometimes did 10 or 12 takes on some of those scenes and there was a hell of a lot of hilarious stuff that didn't make the cut. I reckon we recorded enough dialogue to make another whole 6 episodes.
I also asked as to whether we could release a seperate episode entitled 'Brians Best Bits' which would be a compilation of my funniest lines and moments. Jemaine promised me this would come to fruition but as yet I have not received this 'extra episode'.
I have also hinted at a 'Brian' spin off series...

It was too funny. I could appreciate what he was doing there. And laughed lots at it.

I loved the detail about Chiswich roundabout. I payed homage to the man in my first radio show thread :P I can really get into that side of the humour.

Do you still eat pies?

Pies?
I'm sick to death of pies...and they nearly spelt the end of our band!

I could almost hear Brian saying this. And then the next two

Who won the raffle?

You'll be pleased to know Trevor won the raffle and in doing so won a fair share of his own bull back! It wasn't that he was lucky.
He was the only one who entered the raffle on that particular night. It wasn't a very busy night. (it was my UK slides evening)

Has being the birthplace of the infamous Conchords made the Taranaki Tavern a major New Zealand tourist attraction?

Yes it has!
We are one of the most popular tourist attractions in Taranaki. Fourth only to Mt. Taranaki (Lord of the Rings) Elmwood regional Park (Lord of the Rings)
and Trevor Davies Award winning Bull (now deceased, but was in Lord of the Rings)

As someone who followed the LOTR films I really could chuckle at the second part there. And Trevor winning back his own bull was priceless.

"You've shot it?" for me is still the best line in the whole series. More on that later though 8) A part yet to be written about here
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Re: But could we open for FotC?

Postby Andria » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:13 am

Ellen wrote: Someone gave me a plectrum once, if that counts. I know one song for the harpsichord, but I don’t actually own a harpsichord so I’d have to “air harpsichord”. I took a flute lesson for about five minutes so I can make that “toot-toot” sound with a bottle. Though if I do that for too long I get a little light-headed. I do like to sing, but I’m terribly shy and I suffer from stage fright, so I’ll have to stand behind the curtain during a performance. You can introduce me and I’ll just tug on the curtain a bit to let people know I’m there.

Perfect! I get to have the stage all to myself. That would be...okay. You could play all your rad instruments from behind the curtain and have the audience try and guess what they are. I think the "air harpsichord" might be difficult for them, but we could give it a try.

I used to play the bottle once long ago. *sigh* But I had to stop. Like the oboe, if you play the bottle for too long you are at risk for a brain aneurysm. Those were the days. Back then I could also flick the top of an aluminum soda can and tweak the pull tab. My good friend and I had a little jam group. We had a falling out, unfortunately. Her brother broke the tab off my can - it just wasn't the same after that.
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Ellen » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:01 pm

Andria wrote:Perfect! I get to have the stage all to myself. That would be...okay. You could play all your rad instruments from behind the curtain and have the audience try and guess what they are. I think the "air harpsichord" might be difficult for them, but we could give it a try.

I used to play the bottle once long ago. *sigh* But I had to stop. Like the oboe, if you play the bottle for too long you are at risk for a brain aneurysm. Those were the days. Back then I could also flick the top of an aluminum soda can and tweak the pull tab. My good friend and I had a little jam group. We had a falling out, unfortunately. Her brother broke the tab off my can - it just wasn't the same after that.

Oh, that’s heartbreaking, I can totally relate. It’s just like my dream of playing the pepper mill that was thwarted by a severe allergic reaction to pepper. I was completely crushed. I’m so glad we decided to form this band…we’ve got to make a go of it! Maybe I can find some hypoallergenic pepper. With Brian managing, we can’t lose -- if he’ll consider us, that is. Do you think he would mind helping us sweep up all the pepper at the end of our ggig? It’s a lot easier to clean up than potatoes.
Ellen

Postby Andria » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:01 am

Ellen wrote:Oh, that’s heartbreaking, I can totally relate. It’s just like my dream of playing the pepper mill that was thwarted by a severe allergic reaction to pepper. I was completely crushed. I’m so glad we decided to form this band…we’ve got to make a go of it! Maybe I can find some hypoallergenic pepper. With Brian managing, we can’t lose -- if he’ll consider us, that is. Do you think he would mind helping us sweep up all the pepper at the end of our ggig? It’s a lot easier to clean up than potatoes.

Oh! Horrible, I feel your pain. How do you feel about playing a sea salt grinder? Doesn't have as much personality as pepper, but it can be quite soothing.

I hope Brian will consider giving us a go. We could send him an 8 track of our work. We need to start having Band Meetings! Get things done. When we should get together to practice and compose our tunes, etc.

If Brian takes us on, I think he would probably be willing to clean up the pepper/salt. We could get him a little vacuum for Christmas that he could use. Might make it a bit more exciting, give him some stories to tell back home. I'm quite sure he would have a problem with pies, however. Probably cause a nervious breakdown.
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Deirdre » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:57 am

I have to agree with Sherry about Brian's consistent believablity. Maybe because we think we already know how Bret & Jemaine act in general it was surprising when they went a little off character (Like Jemaine getting so upset about the girlfriend.)

And I must say that as much as I love the guys, and you know I do, Brian was was the reason I laughed most of the time. In this particular format Brian was the STAR!!

There are just too many scenes to quote. I will just say BRAVO to everything that came from Rhys Darby via Brian. :P :P :P

I do hope they can all work together again as these characters. Six episodes is not enough. Now what am I going to do?
Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Andria » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:53 am

Deirdre wrote:There are just too many scenes to quote. I will just say BRAVO to everything that came from Rhys Darby via Brian. :P :P :P

I do hope they can all work together again as these characters. Six episodes is not enough. Now what am I going to do?

My favorite line from the whole series was from Brian. *points to footer*:) The whole bull in the bar exchange with Trevor was just fantastic. I'll save any more comments 'til the Part 3 thread. 8)

I agree, Deirdre. Six episodes isn't enough. :D I've been left shouting More, More!
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Ellen » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:12 am

Andria wrote:Oh! Horrible, I feel your pain. How do you feel about playing a sea salt grinder? Doesn't have as much personality as pepper, but it can be quite soothing.

I hope Brian will consider giving us a go. We could send him an 8 track of our work. We need to start having Band Meetings! Get things done. When we should get together to practice and compose our tunes, etc.

If Brian takes us on, I think he would probably be willing to clean up the pepper/salt. We could get him a little vacuum for Christmas that he could use. Might make it a bit more exciting, give him some stories to tell back home. I'm quite sure he would have a problem with pies, however. Probably cause a nervious breakdown.

A salt grinder, brilliant! Definitely doable. I found one on eBay. It’s a little pricey, 99¢, but I think I can swing it. Anything in the name of art. Hmm…Band Meetings, good point. We’ll need a manager to call them to order (we can’t manage ourselves). We should probably appoint someone to serve as our interim band manager, at least until we can get our 8-track to Brian. We also might want to consider starting a new thread somewhere since we are slouching towards off-topicness. And, in deference to Brian, we must never, ever utter the p word (I don't mean potatoes or pepper). If we have to mention them, we should always refer to them asImages.

Editing due to stupid grammatical errors that would otherwise drive me up the wall every time I revisited this thread.
Last edited by Ellen on Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ellen

Postby Gayle » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:15 am

May I offer that this may be the perfect job for 8Fluffy when she returns?
You may want to 8consider8 that!

Sorry about the 8's. It's random... r.. r.. random... oooh.888
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.
Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Andria » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:32 am

Ellen wrote:A salt grinder, brilliant! Definitely doable. I found one on eBay. It’s a little pricey, 99¢, but I think I can swing it. Anything in the name of art. Hmm…Band Meetings, good point. We’ll need a manager to call them to order (we can’t manage ourselves). We should probably appoint someone to serve as our interim band manager, at least until we can get our 8-track to Brian. We also might want consider starting a new thread somewhere since we are slouching towards off-topicness. And, in deference to Brian, we must never, ever utter the p word (I don't mean potatoes or pepper). If we have to mention them, we should always refer to them asImages.

Oooh, 99¢. Is that NZ or US?
Yes, an interim band manager is a good idea. Who else can do roll call? I'd be lost. I wouldn't know who was there. :puzzled: Gayle has a good point, maybe Fluffy would be willing to take us on when she gets back? But who can be the sub for the interim band manger for the band manager?
A new thread is a good idea. :tsk: We are off topic. But where to put it? General? Flight of the Conchords? Music, lyrics and tabs? You'd better choose Ellen. I'm lost. We totally need a manager.
And what a good solution! We will save Brian any pain by referring to them as Images.
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Ellen » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:48 am

Too many questions. Brain hurts now.

Oooh, 99¢. Is that NZ or US? Canadian.

But who can be the sub for the interim band manger for the band manager? We’ll have to hold auditions for the substitute interim band manager. Or accept applications. Or basically just sign up anyone who says they’d be willing to do it.

A new thread is a good idea. But where to put it? General. You start. :wink:
Ellen

Postby Andria » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:48 am

Ellen wrote:But where to put it? General. You start. :wink:

Your wish has been done! :D See this thread
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:46 pm

I've got an order from a bnesbitt. I giggle every time I see it.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Andria » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:13 am

indigo_jones wrote:I've got an order from a bnesbitt. I giggle every time I see it.

Does it happen to be from New Zealand?! :wink: Brian is buying Rosie something special for Christmas.
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

PreviousNext

Return to Exclusive Q & A session with Flight of The Conchords