What are you listening to?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Re: What are you listening to?

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:18 pm

When I saw them live, they weren't doing the huge theatrical shows that I gather they do now. That said, they did do some cool stuff with lasers and christmas lights that I really enjoyed.

I like older REM, but by the '90s, Michael Stipe started getting too full of himself and I lost interest in their music.

I'm seeing something of a pattern. I think the earlier you get to know an artist, the harder it can be to enjoy their later work if it changes quite a bit.

As for Alphaville, it was hearing Big in Japan at the pub on Friday that set me off, but I ended up listening to their Breathtaking Blue album the other day. Lovely stuff!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:55 pm

indigo_jones wrote:I like older REM, but by the '90s, Michael Stipe started getting too full of himself and I lost interest in their music.

Yeeeeah. I loved their earlier stuff, and listened to Life's Rich Pageant and Document until I wore the damn things out. But around Monster, REM started turning into The Band That Ate Itself. It wasn't solely because Michael Stipe, god bless him, disappeared up his own fundament. But it really didn't help. Still, I get a sense that they're trying to find their way back, these days.

indigo_jones wrote:I'm seeing something of a pattern. I think the earlier you get to know an artist, the harder it can be to enjoy their later work if it changes quite a bit.

Mmmm, I think you're right. Whenever a band or musician that I adore is coming out with a new album, I clench up a little bit, slightly worried that I'll love them less after I hear it. But it keeps my musical life very exciting! Or so I tell myself.

Right this minute, I'm listening to Age's Curious Boy. Isn't it incredible when music is so compulsively beautiful that it actually makes you physically hurt? It's like the body can't take that much sensory gorgeousness. And Tessa Rain's voice just blows my mind. It's like a cloud, like this diffuse breath of loveliness. The two of them are so musically well-matched. I know Tessa's off doing her own thing right now, but I hope they still put their heads together from time to time, because the result is just............... Well, no words.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:07 am

Curious Boy brings me to tears sometimes with just how aurally beautiful it all is. That, or I feel this huge surge of energy through my whole body that feels like it's going to burst out the top of my head. Some albums take a few listens to get into them, but that one had me hooked from the first string notes of Curious Boy. It's rare for me to have such an immediate physical reaction to an album.

As for Tessa, I remember hearing her first on the Return of Fly My Pretties and my first thought was, "Whoah! Weird voice!" But by the third listen, I was finding myself actually fast forwarding to get to her song, because I'd become completely entranced by her voice. My boyfriend has become quite a fan of her, as well, and is equally sad that she's not doing more music right now.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:59 pm

indigo_jones wrote:I like older REM, but by the '90s, Michael Stipe started getting too full of himself and I lost interest in their music.

I'm seeing something of a pattern. I think the earlier you get to know an artist, the harder it can be to enjoy their later work if it changes quite a bit.

Yes, I still listen to the early REM, they are fantastic. The first time I wanted to see them, they cancelled the show because only 10 tickets were sold before the day. That was their first time in Houston, but I did see them a year later at Numbers(Classic 80's gay bar) and it was packed. This was when Michael had long hair and you couldn't see his face. He had such stage fright back then they had to push/pull/drag him out there. Fastforward 20 years and he's just another celebrity whore dying to get his picture taken. blech!
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:26 pm

Hey, Indy(or any other Phoenix Foundation fans).
I've been listening to the one track off Andrew Bird's upcoming album and I'm totally hooked. It's a really great pop song with very strange lyrics. Don't have clue what this song is about and it doesn't matter.
Anyway, here's what I need help with, since the first listening, it reminds me of the Phoenix Foundation- somehow!?. I could just be going crazy, which is understandable and I'm ok with it. But if someone could take a listen to this to see if there is something familiar, I would appreciate it. Also, I would love to hear what you have to say about his lyrics here. I don't understand them, but god I love them! The best I can come up with is sociopaths that are obsessed/scared of Casio calculators?!?! :whitey:

My favorite lyrics that I hear(which is questional) are-

"Arm and Arm, We are the harmless Sociopaths."
"Pass the silver bridge in nothing but a onesie and a veil"
"Let's get out of here, passed the atmosphere
squint your eyes and no one dies or goes to jail"

Someone please, take a listen to this song, "Oh,No". I need a second opinon. Even his whistling sounds PF familiar.
This song is only available on http://www.andrewbird.net under news, second song.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:12 pm

Clinic have been on constant rotation for me as of late. They are so eerie sometimes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai1-YPcOUZI
90% evil
ImageImage

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:44 am

indigo_jones wrote:Curious Boy brings me to tears sometimes with just how aurally beautiful it all is. That, or I feel this huge surge of energy through my whole body that feels like it's going to burst out the top of my head. Some albums take a few listens to get into them, but that one had me hooked from the first string notes of Curious Boy. It's rare for me to have such an immediate physical reaction to an album.

Whispered: yes. Yes, that's it exactly.

And speaking of feeling music surge through your body, after seeing them live last night, I'm in delirious love again with those perennial Kiwi favourites, Fat Freddy's Drop. If anyone is looking for an album to change their musical life, their Based on a True Story might just be the one to do it. Seriously, WHY DON'T YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS BAND? If you're at all interested in the Wellington creative scene that Bret and Jemaine come from, you must know about The Drop. If you've never heard any FFD, here is a wonderful little video of their song Wandering Eye that will give you a much better feel for their style than my nonsensical ramblings: Kiwi goodness!

They've got a new album that was supposed to be out before Christmas, but as the boys work on laid-back island time, the release date has inevitably been pushed back to early 2009. Goddamn. And because they played a lot of their new tunes last night, and I can say without equivocation that they are stonkingly, heart-poundingly good. Brilliant. I must have the new album now. I must have eeeet!

Because I love torturing people with my inebriated photographic skills, here's a dodgy pic of Toby Laing (a very close friend of one Mr. McKenzie, incidently) in his sweet grey blazer playing the trumpet with his fellas:

And an even blurrier one of my reserve-crush (just in case Bret decides to join the Moonies), Dallas Tamaira, the lead singer:

Oh yum. Six foot five inches of pure YES.

If anyone wants to punish themselves with a deeply crappy clip I recorded of FFD playing the intro to their newest song, Pull The Catch, you can see it here. Why I can't keep my damn camera still for two minutes I'll never bloody know.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:49 am

*spontaneously combusts*

*sweeps self back together*

Thank you for sharing that little bit of goodness, my dearest Turnip! I was wiggling like Joe! ;) *curses easyjet and ryan air for not being that cheap when it comes to last-minute tickets*

tvldiva, there is a TPF vibe to that song of Andrew's, what with the whistling and the clapping and an overall sound. I can't place a specific song, although I'm thinking of some of the Eagle vs Shark stuff perhaps. As for his lyrics, I admit that I'm awful with lyrics in general. I have a tendency to only hear individual lines, rather than whole verses, when I hear anything at all, and I've always had trouble with making sense of his stuff. He's just a weird, talented man. :lol:

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:33 am

indigo_jones wrote:tvldiva, there is a TPF vibe to that song of Andrew's, what with the whistling and the clapping and an overall sound. I can't place a specific song, although I'm thinking of some of the Eagle vs Shark stuff perhaps. As for his lyrics, I admit that I'm awful with lyrics in general. I have a tendency to only hear individual lines, rather than whole verses, when I hear anything at all, and I've always had trouble with making sense of his stuff. He's just a weird, talented man. :lol:

I think your right. Something from either EvS or Horsepower. Those cd's were permanent in my car all last summer(07). PF does like using instruments that are not found in usual rock/pop music, just like Bird. But there is something about that song.... :hrm: It's like a musical crack for me....can't stop listening to it.

Also, his Austin show is now sold out, in just two weeks. Maybe it's the fact that this is his only solo show for this tour. I'm just grateful I scraped together some cash for that show when I did. (Merry Xmas to myself!) I would be totally bummed out.

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:18 pm

I'm glad you treated yourself to tickets! After talking about him here, I went and listened to a bit of him last night, including my favorite song, "A Nervous Tic Motion of the Head".

That then made me think of Beirut, so I listened to a bit of The Flying Club Cup and Gulag Orkestar. Then it was a bit of St. Vincent and finished off with some Spinvis. This morning, after playing along with a friend's music meme, I did my own and was reminded of Fionn Regan, so that's who I've been listening to today.

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:24 pm

indigo_jones wrote:I'm glad you treated yourself to tickets! After talking about him here, I went and listened to a bit of him last night, including my favorite song, "A Nervous Tic Motion of the Head".

I love that song too. That was the song he did in the Largo movie and got me hooked. Something you said in your last post about lyrics. I think I became a lyric junkie when a high school teacher had us bring in the lyrics to our favorite songs. She had us read them out to the class as poetry, then we discussed them. A very clever way of getting a bunch of kids to understand and like poetry. Since then, I've been inspired by writers, the music is usually a bonus.

"I start conjugating proverbs"

poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby poptartgirl » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:32 pm

Speaking of great lyrics, one of my favorite music discoveries of 2008 is a Scottish quartet called Frightened Rabbit. Funny name but great band :lol:
They have 3 records : Sing The Greys, The Midnight Organ Fight, and a live release : Liver ! Lung ! FR !
The Midnight Organ Fight is full of songs inspired by a relationship and its end. The lyrics are often heartbreakingly sad but there's humor and maybe even a sense of catharsis.

Here are some of the lyrics from Keep Yourself Warm - a blunt, dark humored point of view on love and sex :

My hole, I'll get my hole
I'll get my hole
Get my hole, get my hole
And I will find out more
It's a choo-choo train
A rocket launch
If we have a hormone race
I'm bound to finish first

Can you see in the dark?
Can you see the look on your face?
The flashing white light's been turned off
You don't know know who's in your bed
It takes more than blooming someone you don't know
To keep warm
Do you really think that for a house beat
You'll find your love in a hole

No you won't find love in a,
Won't find love in a hole
It takes more than blooming someone
To keep yourself warm

I also recommending finding 2 other non-album tracks, Last Tango In Brooklyn and their amazing Christmas song, It's Christmas So We'll Stop (which is mostly about people being nice to each other during the holiday season but things going back to their worst after the holiday is over). One of those cynical yet beautiful and uplifting at the same time :lol: .
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:58 pm

I used to LOOOOOVE REM. And then yes, they sort of basically imploded. I bought Up when it came out and never listened to it and that has sort of been it for me. I agree that everything after Monster has kind of sucked. But man, Life's Rich Peagant, Fables of the Reconstruction, Document, Green, and then even Out of Time and Automatic for the People and Monster were ALLL really great albums.

On another note: I just took a really rally long road trip and we listened to a lot of Thin Lizzy, Free, The Clash, Allman Brothers, David Bowie, The Kinks. Man I love THe Kinks!

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:29 am

Emafer wrote:On another note: I just took a really rally long road trip and we listened to a lot of Thin Lizzy, Free, The Clash, Allman Brothers, David Bowie, The Kinks. Man I love THe Kinks!

Thin Lizzy rocks! :supz: I have them on vinyl but picked up a used cd a year or two ago. Even after all these years, they are still great fun to listen to. When I was in 10th grade, I went to see them in Beaumont, Tx. We stood right at the front of the stage. Loads of fun-great show but we got really battered and brusied being between the crowd and the metal barrier. Either out of pity or he just liked blondes, Phil Lynot handed me his pick and the set list at the end of the show.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:37 pm

Emafer wrote: Man I love THe Kinks!

:nod: My nickname, Lola, comes from the Kinks song coz it was the song I always used to have to play on the jukebox when out drinking.
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “Off topic rambles”