It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:07 pm


Rhys Darby

Rhys Darby, the legend that is Murray. Everything and anything to do with Rhys post it here please.

Moderator: Venus

Re: Rhys Darby

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:13 pm

:yay: Great H!! What a delightful surprise! :yay:

So glad you were able to compliment him on Ep 1, in which he "shone out so beautifully and bright", to quote "Jenny".

How did you like the movie overall? The First Look HBO did on Yes Man showed Rhys in some very funny garb. :roll2:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
User avatar
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta
 
Posts: 9655
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:40 pm
Location: Hope Valley, RI, USA

Re: Rhys Darby

Postby tvldiva » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:30 pm

Great H wrote:I've been a bit bummed cos I wasn't quick enough to get tickets for Rhys' show here in Auckland tonight :bang: but I did manage to nab one of a few free tickets for an advance screening of Yes Man this afternoon :) (it doesn't open until January 1 here) and guess what? Rhys was at the screening! :D He introduced the film and did a Q&A afterwards that practically turned into a mini gig! So I'm a happy bunny after all... I got to say a quick hello to him on the way out and made sure to tell him his song on Episode 1 was great - YAY!
Oh and I totally thought Rhys stole a lot of the scenes! :lol:


Lucky you!!! :clap: I just saw the movie today, Rhys was wonderful, just as I expected. I do think Norman and Murray must be related. When he did the "I've got an exclusive membership in Cosco" bit, I just about lost it!

For those thinking about going, it wasn't too bad. I wouldn't think of this so much as a Jim Carrey movie but an ensemble picture that he just happens to be in. His best parts were when he wasn't trying so hard. This movie really was saved by having an amazing group of people around him. Rhys, of course, Terrance Stamp was magnificently mad and then there was John Michael Higgins. He was just so wonderfully out on the edge of sanity. As much as I like Zooey, I think she was a bit flat here. She did have some bright moments with her band, Munchausen by Proxy. They were brilliant!
Why don't you accept me as your God!?
User avatar
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...
 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Rhys Darby

Postby Sherry » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:13 pm

I have some blurb from the PR company here in the UK handling The Boat That Rocked. Hopefully more to follow as the release date inches nearer. Have posted links to the posters also. Can view them over at IGN Movies and UK Rotten Tomatoes.

Here is film synopsis ( a bit more can be read over on IMDb)

In 1966, arguably British pop music's finest era, the BBC played only two hours of rock and roll every week. But pirate radio blasted rock and pop from the high seas 24 hours a day. And 25 million people, more than half the population of Britain, listened to these pirates every single day.

The Boat That Rocked is an ensemble comedy in which the romance takes place between the young people of the '60s and pop music. It's about a band of rogue DJs that captivated Britain, playing the music that defined a generation and standing up to a government that, incomprehensibly, preferred jazz.

Richard Curtis directs and all star cast including Philip Seymour Hoffman, Bill Nighy, Rhys Ifans, Kenneth Branagh and Nick Frost. The film also stars Tom Sturridge, Jack Davenport, Ralph Brown, Chris O'Dowd and January Jones.
Sherry
Professional Blonde
 
Posts: 4478
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:57 am

Re: Rhys Darby

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:02 am

tvldiva wrote:
Lucky you!!! :clap: I just saw the movie today, Rhys was wonderful, just as I expected. I do think Norman and Murray must be related. When he did the "I've got an exclusive membership in Cosco" bit, I just about lost it!

For those thinking about going, it wasn't too bad. I wouldn't think of this so much as a Jim Carrey movie but an ensemble picture that he just happens to be in. His best parts were when he wasn't trying so hard. This movie really was saved by having an amazing group of people around him. Rhys, of course, Terrance Stamp was magnificently mad and then there was John Michael Higgins. He was just so wonderfully out on the edge of sanity. As much as I like Zooey, I think she was a bit flat here. She did have some bright moments with her band, Munchausen by Proxy. They were brilliant!





Glad you enjoyed it, TV. I'm also glad the movie uses the talented cast, as well as Jim Carrey. Usually they waste the supporting actors by giving them nothing of substance to do. I saw the Costco bit of Rhys' on HBO First Look, and I thought it was very funny.
John Michael Higgins - aaahhh! Anyone who's in Christopher Guest's stable of improv actors is a genius as far as I'm concerned, and the role he's given in Yes Man seems right up his alley.

The movie also did very well at the box office, so that's all good.

I'm looking forward to The Boat That Rocked - what a great story! I had never heard anything about it before.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
User avatar
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta
 
Posts: 9655
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:40 pm
Location: Hope Valley, RI, USA

Re: Rhys Darby

Postby tvldiva » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:41 am

This is a bit of a cross topic thing but I just read that Zooey Deschanel not only sings but plays piano and the baritone ukulele. :supz: Just another reason to love her!
Why don't you accept me as your God!?
User avatar
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...
 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Rhys Darby

Postby tvldiva » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:46 am

Sherry wrote:I have some blurb from the PR company here in the UK handling The Boat That Rocked. Hopefully more to follow as the release date inches nearer. Have posted links to the posters also. Can view them over at IGN Movies and UK Rotten Tomatoes.

Here is film synopsis ( a bit more can be read over on IMDb)

In 1966, arguably British pop music's finest era, the BBC played only two hours of rock and roll every week. But pirate radio blasted rock and pop from the high seas 24 hours a day. And 25 million people, more than half the population of Britain, listened to these pirates every single day.

The Boat That Rocked is an ensemble comedy in which the romance takes place between the young people of the '60s and pop music. It's about a band of rogue DJs that captivated Britain, playing the music that defined a generation and standing up to a government that, incomprehensibly, preferred jazz.

Richard Curtis directs and all star cast including Philip Seymour Hoffman, Bill Nighy, Rhys Ifans, Kenneth Branagh and Nick Frost. The film also stars Tom Sturridge, Jack Davenport, Ralph Brown, Chris O'Dowd and January Jones.


I read about this movie earlier, it looks fantastic! Such a great cast, with an interesting, orginal storyline.
Can't wait. :nana:
Why don't you accept me as your God!?
User avatar
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...
 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Rhys Darby

Postby SheWolf » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:18 pm

I'm glad the synopsis was posted coz, the title The Boat That Rocked didn't grab me but the movie sounds like something I'd like to see.

I've read and seen a handful of Yes Man reviews and each mention that Rhys is a scene stealer, which makes perfect sense coz he's a scene stealer on FOTC as well. Go Rhys! :supz:
90% evil
ImageImage
User avatar
SheWolf
Boom King!
 
Posts: 7354
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: Getting hot by the refrigerator

Re: Rhys Darby

Postby WomanInThePark » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:40 pm

SheWolf wrote:I'm glad the synopsis was posted coz, the title The Boat That Rocked didn't grab me but the movie sounds like something I'd like to see.

I've read and seen a handful of Yes Man reviews and each mention that Rhys is a scene stealer, which makes perfect sense coz he's a scene stealer on FOTC as well. Go Rhys! :supz:


I just saw it yesterday, and Rhys was stealing scenes like nobody's business. Or something.
I keep trying and failing to picture him in a straight role. Every time he does or says anything, I laugh. I don't think a tragedy with Rhys would go over well..
Beth, did you really need to fake your death?
User avatar
WomanInThePark
Registered Rhymnecologist
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:44 pm

Re: Rhys Darby

Postby tvldiva » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:22 pm

WomanInThePark wrote:I just saw it yesterday, and Rhys was stealing scenes like nobody's business. Or something.
I keep trying and failing to picture him in a straight role. Every time he does or says anything, I laugh. I don't think a tragedy with Rhys would go over well..


Your right there. He actually becomes funnier when he's trying to be serious.
Why don't you accept me as your God!?
User avatar
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...
 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Rhys Darby

Postby Nancy » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:27 am

Except he did tug at my heartstrings in FoTC's "The Actor", after they made the video for Frodo, and he was so happy about the day's work, saying that it was the best work he'd ever done. Awww :tears: He got me. :nod:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
User avatar
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta
 
Posts: 9655
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:40 pm
Location: Hope Valley, RI, USA

Re: Rhys Darby

Postby dangerous person » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:39 pm

As much as I like Rhys, I'm not sure he comes across as particularly humble in this article.
I don't know, I like him, he is talented and I'm pleased it's going really well for him, but from time to time I get the feeling in his interviews he thinks rather highly of himself?
I feel mean now..... :?
Maybe he's just a bit clumsy in the way he describes how proud he is of what he's achieved?
I think I'm getting too used to Bret & Jemaine's interview style!
"We're a novelty music act, we're not a freak show"
User avatar
dangerous person
David Bowie's nipple antennae
 
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:26 am
Location: UK

Re: Rhys Darby

Postby ASmallTurnip » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:25 pm

dangerous person wrote:As much as I like Rhys, I'm not sure he comes across as particularly humble in this article.
I don't know, I like him, he is talented and I'm pleased it's going really well for him, but from time to time I get the feeling in his interviews he thinks rather highly of himself?
I feel mean now..... :?
Maybe he's just a bit clumsy in the way he describes how proud he is of what he's achieved?
I think I'm getting too used to Bret & Jemaine's interview style!

Hmmmmmm................

Yes. Yes, I see what you mean there, DP.

It's a bit surprising to me, really. It's the kind of talk that you'd expect in a much younger actor or comedian, isn't it? Not one who'd been seasoned by experience or who is particularly mindful of the caprices of the entertainment world. And it reveals a lot of vulnerability, too. So much of that talk seems to be directed at convincing himself rather than anyone else. I wish he had another layer of protective self-awareness, just for his own sake. It's so easy to be hurt if so much of your ego rests on what everyone else is saying, you know? And I love Rhys, and don't want to see him get hurt.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.
User avatar
ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:21 pm
Location: London, England

Re: Rhys Darby

Postby tvldiva » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:42 pm

Personally, I think it's his use of inflection with his humor that makes his written interviews weird to read. That just doesn't translate easily. :? Maybe?!
Why don't you accept me as your God!?
User avatar
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...
 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Rhys Darby

Postby SheWolf » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:09 pm

dangerous person wrote:I feel mean now..... :?

Don't feel mean. I hate when people hesitate to express their true opinion because of a fear of something like that. We don't only need to say nice things. In fact, I'm highly suspect of people who only say nice things. :lol:

Before I read this link I was thinking -aha! coz, as you may recall, Rhys said something in another article that IMHO stunk of thinking a tad highly of himself yet others saw it as humor. That's what makes horseracing.

Now that I've read the article, I see what you're talking about but I'm thinking he's just very green about it all. He's very - gosh this is great I don't know what I'm doing but I'm winging it and it's all working out - It's almost like he can't believe his luck. That's the vibe I'm getting from it anyway but I can see how it can be misread as arrogant in a way. He should have the good sense to realize that it could be seen or read that way. I guess he's still learning.
90% evil
ImageImage
User avatar
SheWolf
Boom King!
 
Posts: 7354
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: Getting hot by the refrigerator

Re: Rhys Darby

Postby ASmallTurnip » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:28 pm

SheWolf wrote:
dangerous person wrote:I feel mean now..... :?

Don't feel mean. I hate when people hesitate to express their true opinion because of a fear of something like that. In fact, I'm highly suspect of people who only say nice things. :lol:

My mama always tells me, "if you don't have anything nice to say, shut your yap, sweetpea". I don't always succeed, but hey, like checking my pockets for tissues when I'm doing laundry, it's a worthwhile endeavour.

I think green is a good way to describe his comments, Wolfie - there's no malice or insolence in him at all. Just a kind of posturing innocence. Like good wood, he'll get seasoned with time. We all do.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.
User avatar
ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:21 pm
Location: London, England

PreviousNext

Return to Rhys Darby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests