It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:43 am

HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 5

The place for all Conchords HBO convo

Moderator: Venus

Re: HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 5

Postby Mel » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:37 pm

awesome, awesome, awesome!!!

Loved "too many dicks on the dance floor"... :supz: I told my husband that it was the first song this year that I could see myself walking around singing... right up there with "Boom King" and "Business Time" Disco balls... 'nuf said.

Like the ex-girlfriend song - "I told you to shutup"

Gotta watch it a few more times for sure.

-Mel
Mel
Lost but happy at sea

Postby poptartgirl » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:44 pm

I swear that there is a member of the Village People leading the conga line in the Too Many Dicks video...hilarious ! :lol: :clap:

The discoball crotches was almost too much :P :lol:

Also liked the new poster in Murray's office : New Zealand - Take Your Mum :lol:
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"
poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby JulesJules » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:56 pm

Poptart,

OH wow, the guy leading the Conga line is also the man at the door of the club, and I thought he looked familiar, but assumed he was some actor with "one of those faces." You think he could really be one of the Village People? He'd have to be the police officer! Too funny if it's true.

I woke up 30 mins early to re-watch this episode OnDemand, and considering my normal wake-up time is 4:20am, that is a real testament to how much I enjoyed this one.
JulesJules
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby SheWolf » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:05 pm

It is the guy from the Village People. While they were still filming it was mentioned that he would appear in one of the eps. Art Garfunkel is also going to be in one of them.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Amanda » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:06 pm

BEST EPISODE EVER!!!

I don't have words for the Ex-Girlfriends clip..best thing i've seen so far in 2nd season..although musically I preferred the live version..they managed to do an awesome video :clap: well done guys! nice re-appearance of Jemaine "Snakehips" Clement.. :drool:

I didn't care much for the first song.. I even disliked the discrotch balls.. :? but they rose sky high on the Y-axis as the episode went on.. I loved the sloppy Australian story..
and Jemaine's face when he woke up at her place and saw the flag..the koalas..the kangaroos..Foster's Beer..uh..oh :shock: ... and called Bret and he was reading that New Zealand species book :rolls:
Last edited by Amanda on Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...
Amanda

Postby poptartgirl » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:09 pm

Entertainment Weekly commentary on last night's episode : http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/02 ... the-2.html

poptartgirl

Postby tvldiva » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:27 pm

I didn't care for "Too many dicks" at all. I just don't think it's funny nor do I feel it added to the show at all. :hrmpf:

As for the rest of the show, I loved it! I think they guys acting is coming along nicely. They seem more relaxed in their characters. Of course, this story line probably was something close to their hearts. :whistle:

While there were so many great lines and situations(the health clinic just kills me!!), I have to say the bit at the end where Jemaine ask for a hug/Bret not wanting too but is duct taped to the door so couldn't move away was brilliant!!

Glad to see the Carol Brown song worked into a show. Now, that's a FOTC song to me.
Why don't you accept me as your God!?
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby Whambi » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:13 am

bibliaddict wrote:Their fake instruments were video editing machines circa 1985. Very clever of them!

Thank you bibliaddict, I knew I remembered seeing a machine like that somewhere before (collecting dust back in the Audio Visual Dept back at school), I just couldn't place it. Wow, how they find ways to use such obscure instruments...or should I say machinery, in a visually interesting way. I commend them.

I was surprised that they would go into a song so quickly into the episode. Nice to see Dave/Arj used more in scenes.

One person who might be upset with the song Choir of the Ex-Girlfriends might be comedian Zach Galifianakis. He did a show on Comedy Central a few years back which he assembled an a capella group of his ex-girlfriends. It was pretty funny. Here's a link: http://www.truveo.com/Zach-Galifianakis ... /842983517

I too wish that Bret sang backup on that song like he did at the live shows in Milwaukee and Chicago, but even so, the song and the visuals went nicely with the storyline.

---Whambi
If I did I'd hold you tight into every single night & we'd fall asleep together & we'd wake up in the sunlight. Well, maybe I'm a dreamer, but, maybe one day you'll see, that dreams are......
......Yeah, yeah she gets it, stop cockblocking me!
Whambi
Half a shapely halibut

Postby PatK » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:16 am

Thought this was hilarious the second time through:

J-"I'm locked in, she's trapped me"
B-"I'm not surprised"

And then Bret talking in the background (in the cameraphone) while Jemaine is talking to Keitha
PatK
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:15 am

Thanks for that article, Poptartgirl. It was a good one. :thumb:
Like you, I love to look for the NZ posters in Murray's office - it's such a subtle change every week. :lol:

There is just so much to digest in each episode, it's hard to know where to begin! :rolleyes:

For those who didn't see the Ex-Girlfriends' song live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjXza-pyJcY

I love the first verse musically in the live version, but after seeing the tv version again, I admit it's growing on me. I still miss Bret singing, but I loved how he got into playing his video editing machine.

I really am not usually one who likes bad taste, but Too Many D***s had some genius lyrics. I like the section Jemaine was rapping with the really funky rhythm. Now I have to go back and watch it again, and look for the Village People guy. :lol:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby poptartgirl » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:43 am

tvldiva wrote:I didn't care for "Too many dicks" at all. I just don't think it's funny nor do I feel it added to the show at all. :hrmpf:

Somehow they can pull off lowbrow and vulgar without turning me off. In a strange way, it just comes off as silly and goofy instead of gross. At least for me anyway :lol:

Arj's rapping and silly dance moves were ace, too :supz: :lol:

poptartgirl

Postby Bad Atom » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:57 am

The most frustrating episode of the year for me...

There was so much to love in this episode. After all the subtle jokes about the Australia / New Zealand rivalry, a story like this was bound to happen. And it worked wonderfully, with a couple of exceptions...

I liked the following things:

[*] It was nice to see Jemaine finally get a girl - once he got over the whole Australian thing, he was actually very sweet instead of his usual acerbic self. While it's a shame that Keitha turned out to be as bad as everyone feared (shades of last year's "Girlfriends") I really like Sarah Wynter and she did a good job in the show. I actually wish they would have spent more time on her character.

[*] I'm still loving the reappearances of favorite props like the hair helmet and the (working!) cameraphone.

[*] The running gag with Dave not knowing who's who, and his poor grasp of geography continues to amuse me.

[*] Some very funny lines and scenes that will go into the FOTC hall of fame - "Squint your ears", "Stay calm. Jump out the window.", the story of how Keitha's great-grandparents "met", the milk with Fruit Loops, Bret's phone message, "Interracial Hole-Stretchers 2"... there was a LOT of good stuff in this one.

[*] The Jemaine and Bret non-hug, and the visual absurdity of Bret duct-taped to the wall. The pat on the head with the sandwich was the perfect finishing touch.

I disliked the following things:

[*] I really didn't care for the "Too Many Dicks" song and frankly, I'm tired of hearing them use that word on the show. It's gotten really old. And it's not that I have a problem with language in general - hell, I love "South Park" - but it just doesn't seem right for the style of the show.

[*] "The West Wing" beat them to that "accidentally slept with someone" joke by 10 years.

[*] The bit with Bret's weird gloves and the ensuing struggle was the oddest, most violent thing this show has ever done, and it felt very out-of-place.

[*] And now for the big one - I can't get over what they did with the "Carol Brown" song. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's my second-favorite FOTC song (next to "Ladies of the World" if anyone was wondering), and was eagerly anticipating hearing it in the show. I even made a bleep-bloop version of it for my upcoming game because it's such a great little tune. :)

But what they did for the show was a mess. It was way too rushed, over-produced and busy. There was too much going on in the background, and it detracted from the lyrics and the humor. It's a very simple song, and it needed an equally simple video. What they did was just overkill. I guess I'm lucky because we saw them live in Columbus and they performed probably the best version of the song I've heard. I'm just disappointed in the TV translation.
Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby halokiti » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:21 am

Excellent episode, I had high expectations since it was directed by Michel Gondry. The only Gondry-ish part was the Ex-Girlfriends segment. To be honest, I didn't remember that song from the concert until my sister said they sang it before.

They have been using more vulgar language this season, guess the NYC is rubbing off on them. Even if listening to Auto-tuned to the max music isn't my thing the lyrics to "Too Many Dicks" are clever.

Second episode to have someone that was in 24 on it, Alan Dale and now Sarah Wynter. They are really getting their digs at the Aussies this season with all the stereotypes. At least we got to see Jemaine wear his outback outfit. Damn Aussie broke his heart and stole all their stuff.

And I had to google what a "ginger nut" was, now I want to go try some. Sounds like it's a really strong tasting biscuit.
halokiti
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Great H » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:24 am

Bad Atom wrote:[*] The bit with Bret's weird gloves and the ensuing struggle was the oddest, most violent thing this show has ever done, and it felt very out-of-place.
Actually I thought Bret might not have been acting at the end there - that Jemaine really hurt him a bit - cos his voice changed considerably in tenor.
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:07 am

poptartgirl wrote:
tvldiva wrote:I didn't care for "Too many dicks" at all. I just don't think it's funny nor do I feel it added to the show at all. :hrmpf:

Somehow they can pull off lowbrow and vulgar without turning me off. In a strange way, it just comes off as silly and goofy instead of gross. At least for me anyway :lol:

I feel the same poptart. Despite the "disco balls" and such being a bit more obvious, I still found them silly rather than anything else and I thought the song had some funny and witty lines that also kept it from being pure lowbrow. And if nothing else, I thought the song was good enough on its own as a pure dance tune. I'd totally bop around to it musically! :dance: :macarena:

Jemaine's crocodile hunter outfit cracked me up the moment I saw it. Especially with the shoes!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

PreviousNext

Return to HBO TV series