It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:47 am

HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 6

The place for all Conchords HBO convo

Moderator: Venus

Re: HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 6

Postby LSully9 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:22 pm

Bret + Glasses = :thud: Turnip, could you possibly hook me up with some pics of that? Because it's Monday and I really need a more valid excuse to be this non-functional... I think my lying in a puddle of goo on the floor would qualify. :wink:

prettyrobyngirl wrote:And maybe you WTFers can tell me where the baby/family picture that Mel bring out at the end is from specifically? I read in the NZ listener article that the weirdest thing Big J has ever seen at a show is a woman with a picture of a fetus with side burns and glasses on her shirt, but that doesn't necessarily explain the merging baby pictures. Everything Mel has done in this season seems to be heavily rooted in actual fan behavior, from art to the cookies to even some of her dream.... anyone got anything?

I don't know about the baby/family picture, but at the Philly show last year I met a guy who I thought looked quite a bit like a cross between Bret and Jemaine. I was even joking with sister that he was like one of those "if they mated" photos that Conan O' Brien used to do, but not as scary. And then we starting talking to him and found out he was a really nice guy too. I was instantly crushing on him of course. lol! And then the real Bret worked his way down the line. Someone from the group commented that he's always being told how much he looks like Bret. Bret looked him up and down for a second and said "Yeah, but you look like Jemaine too." I almost fell out right there that Bret would be thinking the same exact thing as I was. So when all of that started last night, that's of course what came to my mind and made me squeal in delight that I was part of an encounter that may have possibly inspired it.
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.
LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Deirdre » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:22 pm

I laughed everytime Bret called her Brabra. And then when we found out it was her real name, Brahbrah, with the hs, I cracked up. :clap:
Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby SheWolf » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:40 pm

ASmallTurnip wrote:Image

No reason why this shouldn't appear on every page. Yup that's just how I imagine Jemaine in my uh....nevermind....

It was weird, with a lot of familiar territory but I liked it. As usual the first time is a blur so more coherent thoughts to come but initial impressions:
As much as I dislike Kristen Wiig on SNL I thought she fit in well here.
The first song was great.
I couldn't make out a word of the 2nd one and it was pretty ho hum.
Jemaine without glasses = :hrmpf:
Bret was almost unrecognizable in glasses.
During the dog benefit song, writhing from hysterics, I began to fall off the couch. With tears of laughter blinding my eyes I braced myself on the coffee table thereby averting disaster. That is the hardest I've laughed all season. The song is now a blur to me but I'm pretty sure it was a line Bret sang (with such feeling!) about a labrador flailing on the floor ..or something...that pushed me over the edge. :roll2:

This one will get better and better, the more I get to oogle Jemaine in shorts. :waggle:
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby LSully9 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:18 pm

SheWolf wrote:During the dog benefit song, writhing from hysterics, I began to fall off the couch. With tears of laughter blinding my eyes I braced myself on the coffee table thereby averting disaster. That is the hardest I've laughed all season. The song is now a blur to me but I'm pretty sure it was a line Bret sang (with such feeling!) about a labrador flailing on the floor ..or something...that pushed me over the edge. :roll2:

That really was hilarious! Everything was going so well, everyone seemed to be loving the song, and then: the remix... :rolls:
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.
LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby WomanInThePark » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:46 pm

Deirdre wrote:During the dog benefit song, writhing from hysterics, I began to fall off the couch. With tears of laughter blinding my eyes I braced myself on the coffee table thereby averting disaster. That is the hardest I've laughed all season. The song is now a blur to me but I'm pretty sure it was a line Bret sang (with such feeling!) about a labrador flailing on the floor ..or something...that pushed me over the edge. :roll2:

That was totally my favorite song. All my fav songs this season are not actual songs... slow Rock The Party, now this... :hrm:
Never have I heard such a deep, sexy voice singing about flailing dogs. Jemaine just keeps pushing the envelope.
Beth, did you really need to fake your death?
WomanInThePark
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Spumony5000 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:51 pm

I didn't really care for this episode. There were only a few things that I liked about it that others have mentioned such as: the shorts, the epileptic dog song, and Bret and Jemaine dressing like each other. I barely laughed this week and I wasn't crazy for either of the two songs they sang which is unusual for me because I pretty much like all their songs. I am going to watch it again though and see if it grows on me.
Last edited by Spumony5000 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you want to borrow my jumper Bowie?

Spumony5000
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby dandy lyons » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:52 pm

prettyrobyngirl wrote:

Anyone else notice Bret's shirt during the basketball scene in the first song? It was a picture of a bear with the antlers of a moose and underneath said "deer?".

I think it said "BEER". (Deer + Bear) ;)
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.
dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby bibliaddict » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:57 pm

Oh, Turnip, bless you for the stills, especially the sweet, sweet shorts...

And do I see a peek of black bike lycra bike short under Bret's red shorts, hmm? :snakeman:

The ep was really brilliant, and Kristen Wiig was better than I expected. Of course, my expectations were pretty low. And THREE SONGS. And DUELING. And BRET IN GLASSES. I really liked Bret's first-date-with-BraBra ensemble, with the dashing purply waistcoat and pocket square. And that when Jemaine takes his place, he takes his dinner plate with him.
Spandex Inspector #12
bibliaddict
Consistently Mediocre

Postby JulesJules » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:03 pm

As a confirmed Jemaniac, I would like to say that Bret looked pretty good in his shorts too.

I was half-asleep during the show, watching it OnDemand after watching the entire Oscars broadcast, so I need to watch it again tonight for clarity. I saw the fencing, the fight in the apartment, of course the jogging in the beginning, and the bit in Murray's office, but a lot of the rest is a blur. I didn't care for the first song all that much, but maybe with a second viewing/hearing. It's like that for me sometimes w/their songs. I catch lyrics I didn't get the first time round.

By the time Jemaine had his glasses off, mine were off too and I was nodding, so his face was a blur. I can't wait to see this episode again.
JulesJules

Postby charks » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:26 pm

A very wordy episode. Loved the first song...several great lines...and I really need to listen to it again.

Wasn't crazy about the dueling song.

Loved Bret belting it out like Paul McCartney on the piano.

I'm definitely a newbie on this board...but is it possible that I'm the only guy...male...dude...that watches?! :)
charks
New arrival

Postby tvldiva » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:40 pm

I think this photo should be on every page.... :whistle:
All in all, I did not like the show. Kristen Wiig was miscast, completely out of sync with their rhythm. Maybe I'd like the script with another actress?!?!
There were some good lines and I did love the first song. Anytime they are in shorts is a good thing,eh!? I think the picture of them isn't the best. Jemaine looks a little...errr..pregnate. Maybe that was just his sympathy pregnacy weight?! :worry:

***NOTE TO SHERRY-- we desperately need that happy smiley!!!
Why don't you accept me as your God!?
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:32 pm

dandy lyons wrote:
prettyrobyngirl wrote:

Anyone else notice Bret's shirt during the basketball scene in the first song? It was a picture of a bear with the antlers of a moose and underneath said "deer?".

I think it said "BEER". (Deer + Bear) ;)

Thanks Dandy! Makes way more sense and far more funny that way.... hard to make it out on my small, small screen.
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
prettyrobyngirl

Postby Sherry » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:46 pm

charks wrote:I'm definitely a newbie on this board...but is it possible that I'm the only guy...male...dude...that watches?! :)

Nope. And as for posting here, there are quite a few guys post here. Just sometimes hard to find them amongst all the swooning that goes on on occasion :lol: But stick with us, there is decent convo on the show to be had :purple:
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby The Talking Stove » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:01 pm

I loved Bret and Jemaine stealing the features of the other...both, erm, Bremaines were great :D
Have you ever been told that you look like a llama?
The Talking Stove
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Whambi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:10 pm

For me, the glue that held this episode together was the epileptic dogs benefit song/remix with the Powerpoint presentation behind them. Just BRILLIANT! :clap:
If I did I'd hold you tight into every single night & we'd fall asleep together & we'd wake up in the sunlight. Well, maybe I'm a dreamer, but, maybe one day you'll see, that dreams are......
......Yeah, yeah she gets it, stop cockblocking me!
Whambi
Half a shapely halibut

PreviousNext

Return to HBO TV series