What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
JulesJules
 Post subject: Re: HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 6
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:46 pm 
Registered Rhymnecologist

charks wrote:
A very wordy episode. Loved the first song...several great lines...and I really need to listen to it again.

Wasn't crazy about the dueling song.

Loved Bret belting it out like Paul McCartney on the piano.

I'm definitely a newbie on this board...but is it possible that I'm the only guy...male...dude...that watches?! :)

Naa, there are a lot of male fans of the show. I commend you for posting with us! My son, 15, is as crazy about the show as I am, and is going to the concert with me in April. But he would never post on a message board with his mom.

Welcome!! We need some testosterone around here to keep us in check!

SheWolf
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:59 pm 
Boom King!

halokiti wrote:
Lols. R Kelly Featuring Usher - Same Girl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN1SVSH40b4 I'm waiting for a In the Closet parody now.
OHHHHHHHHHH *lightbulb* that would explain why this episode was originally entitled Same Girl and why that song was so lame. I caught a few more things last night, like Brahbra saying one of the dogs passed away from the strobe induced seizure. Mel = blech, lame both times she appeared. Dave didn't do it for me either. But I watched Jemaine jogging transfixed at the grippage of his shorts to his curvaceous masculine form so all is good (yeah he is looking awfully white, what's up with that?) And why are Bret's shorts so big? Is he still feeling body conscious? Agree with Atom that this plot is very sitcom-ish, not to mention we've seen this basic storyline before with B&J trying to outdo each other for Sally's affections.

I'd like to see more BBC radio series elements worked into these eps. We're still waiting on Bus Driver's Song right? Any other FOTC classics that have yet to appear on the show?

ASmallTurnip
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:06 pm 
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

SheWolf wrote:
OHHHHHHHHHH *lightbulb* that would explain why this episode was originally entitled Same Girl and why that song was so lame.

Girl, you crazy! On page 2 you're saying:

SheWolf wrote:
The first song was great.

But on page 4, it's so lame? A person can change their mind, but that's some speedy footwork there. What made you take against it in one quick spin of the Earth?

Bad Atom wrote:
So the sudden reappearance of all the furniture was never explained, and on top of that, Murray can afford to rent a recording studio and stage a benefit too? I know money-related situations on TV are rarely realistic, but four episodes ago a $2.79 cup broke the bank.

Your insistence on internal narrative logic is bringing me dowwwwwn, man. :wink: The Conchords are like Kiwi Wile E. Coyotes, subject only to cartoon physics. They may plunge head-first off a towering cliff, but they just pop right back up again, ready for their next adventure. You want gritty realism, then I recommend The Wire. Or Bambi.

Bad Atom wrote:
And while I see the ladies here are going nuts over the short shorts and other assorted :thud: things, all I could say was "Seriously, those guys are really white."

Yeah. **Smiles dreamily.** Pale knobbly knees are TEH SEX. Honestly, I'm such a Victorian: one flash of a white ankle and I come over all faint.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

prettyrobyngirl
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:50 pm 
Registered Rhymnecologist

halokiti wrote:

I'd like to see more BBC radio series elements worked into these eps. We're still waiting on Bus Driver's Song right? Any other FOTC classics that have yet to appear on the show?

Jenny hasn't been on the show yet. I do really like that song, especially the version that they sang at the secret show in Wellington after they won the Grammy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeEKgpLvVo8

Hope they both show up soon!

SheWolf
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:45 pm 
Boom King!

It's all or nothing with me turnip. I think the first time I liked the song because I was enthralled by what they were doing more than what they were singing. It probably helped that I couldn't make out some of what they were singing too. I like the "are you thinking what I'm thinking? No I'm thinking what I'm thinking" line but other than that I say lame, (I think that's the best diss) which doesn't preculde me from tomorrow saying it's good but does probably preclude me from creditibility somewhat. :? :rolleyes:

tvldiva
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:42 pm 
Feeling much better now...

ASmallTurnip wrote:
SheWolf wrote:
OHHHHHHHHHH *lightbulb* that would explain why this episode was originally entitled Same Girl and why that song was so lame.

Girl, you crazy! On page 2 you're saying:

SheWolf wrote:
The first song was great.

But on page 4, it's so lame? A person can change their mind, but that's some speedy footwork there. What made you take against it in one quick spin of the Earth?

Bad Atom wrote:
So the sudden reappearance of all the furniture was never explained, and on top of that, Murray can afford to rent a recording studio and stage a benefit too? I know money-related situations on TV are rarely realistic, but four episodes ago a $2.79 cup broke the bank.

Your insistence on internal narrative logic is bringing me dowwwwwn, man. :wink: The Conchords are like Kiwi Wile E. Coyotes, subject only to cartoon physics. They may plunge head-first off a towering cliff, but they just pop right back up again, ready for their next adventure. You want gritty realism, then I recommend The Wire. Or Bambi.

You go Turnip!! I especially like your last explaination. I, myself, have no issues with the continuity of this show. Most shows would bug the crap out of me but I tend to take one show at a time here. Since they never reference any kind of time line, I don't expect them to explain anything. Also- less headaches this way too. :whistle:

ASmallTurnip wrote:
Bad Atom wrote:
And while I see the ladies here are going nuts over the short shorts and other assorted :thud: things, all I could say was "Seriously, those guys are really white."

Yeah. **Smiles dreamily.** Pale knobbly knees are TEH SEX. Honestly, I'm such a Victorian: one flash of a white ankle and I come over all faint.

They are white musicians from New Zealand living in New York City. What the heck to you expect?! :roll: :doh:

The Talking Stove
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:05 pm 
Giving the paper to the people

So is anyone here pro-AIDS? I'm anti.

Also, I'd like some of Bret's delicious vaccine. That sounds quite homo erotic :shock:

mrquint
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:16 am 
New arrival

Epileptic Dog, the remix, was one the best FOTC moments ever.

chileanconchord
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:50 am 
New arrival

hey last episode was awesome, only one complain: i don't think that actress who played "brahbrah" was hot enough to portray a girl that two guys fall in love with her inmediately.... I mean the girl who played Sally in last season for example was absolutely cute and hot, and even Keitha was ok.

But for some reason i didn't buy "BrahBrah"'s character that much....

ASmallTurnip
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:06 am 

chileanconchord wrote:
hey last episode was awesome, only one complain: i don't think that actress who played "brahbrah" was hot enough to portray a girl that two guys fall in love with her inmediately.... I mean the girl who played Sally in last season for example was absolutely cute and hot, and even Keitha was ok.

Oh hellllllllllllll no. You did not just bodysnark on What The Folk. That ain't right.

The Talking Stove wrote:
Also, I'd like some of Bret's delicious vaccine. That sounds quite homo erotic :shock:

It's got TOFFEE in it! And I too would very much like to be injected with Dr. McKenzie's [REDACTED].

Seriously, how great are their faces here? I'M DYING.

Val2150
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:19 am 
Stop touching the monkeys

:roll2: Turnip, you slay me. I LOVE Jemaine's "disgusted" faces.

But back to the vaccine: Bret can play doctor with me anytime. :waggle:

Oops, did I just say that out loud? :halo:

chileanconchord
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:45 am 
New arrival

ASmallTurnip wrote:
chileanconchord wrote:

Oh hellllllllllllll no. You did not just bodysnark on What The Folk. That ain't right.

huh??? sorry, i didn't get one word of what you just said :S .... mmm "bodysnark"??? what's that??

onlyalways
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:06 am 
Keeping it funky

chileanconchord wrote:
ASmallTurnip wrote:

huh??? sorry, i didn't get one word of what you just said :S .... mmm "bodysnark"??? what's that??

It's when you criticize another woman's features/body.

I really like Kristen Wiig (Brahbrah) and find her adorable. I may go write her a song now so she doesn't feel so body conscience. :wink:

ASmallTurnip
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:09 am 

chileanconchord wrote:

Bodysnarking is the practice of publicly making unkind remarks about a person's physical appearance. Both men and women are victims of it, but generally speaking, women tend to get bodysnarked to a much greater degree than men. It is usually used to establish a woman's worth by how attractive she is to men, and it's a toxic habit that is fed and cherished by misogynists like Perez Hilton and his ilk everywhere. Most importantly, it corrodes the soul of everyone who writes it or reads it.

Most of us do it at some point, but it's a really worthwhile goal to attempt to do it less. And I don't think it has any place whatsoever on a gorgeously lovely and wonderfully human website like What The Folk.

chileanconchord
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:31 am 
New arrival

lol, well now i get it!!, sorry!!, i didn't mean to do that....

i was just trying to say that i didn't "believe" that character that much, maybe it was just her acting or something else, i dunno.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next