What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
Bad Atom
 Post subject: Unpopular opinions?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:09 am 
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

I think most of us are here because we like Flight of the Conchords. :) But we're a pretty diverse group here and we don't always share the same opinions. For example, while I think Murray is funny, I don't think he's the most hysterical thing ever and I seem to be alone in that view.

Does anyone else have any unpopular opinions about the show, the songs, the guys, etc.?

mockingbird
 Post subject: Re: Unpopular opinions?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:24 pm 
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Ooh, controversy! (opens bag of popcorn, sits back)

I'd share my unpopular opinions but I'm afraid nobody would like me anymore. I agree with everyone here, on everything, even if those things are contradictory. For instance, I simultaneously think Murray is the funniest thing ever, and also not so much.

SheWolf
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:51 pm 
Boom King!

Bad Atom wrote:
I think most of us are here because we like Flight of the Conchords. :) But we're a pretty diverse group here and we don't always share the same opinions. For example, while I think Murray is funny, I don't think he's the most hysterical thing ever and I seem to be alone in that view.

Does anyone else have any unpopular opinions about the show, the songs, the guys, etc.?
Sometimes on other boards people get reprimanded a bit for expressing anything deemed not entirely positive and that always bothers me, #1 because I think it takes a certain amount of arrogance and gall to do so and #2 I think we should all be allowed to express both negative and positive opinions as we see fit. Having said that though in relation to FOTC I don't know that I hold any necessarily unpopular opinions. In regards to Murray, no he isn't the most hysterical thing I've ever seen (FOTC are :D ) but I think he's great on the show and couldn't be more perfect. I also think he's probably the best actor of the bunch. When I saw Rhys' live act, while he was certainly entertaining, I wouldn't say he was hysterical. Eugene and Kristen's live acts underwhelmed a bit as well. Arj, however, was fantastic and I would recommend him to anyone. Sorry, I think I went a bit OT there.

mockingbird
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:26 pm 

SheWolf wrote:
In regards to Murray... I also think he's probably the best actor of the bunch.

That scene in "The Actor" when he finds out the whole thing is a sham and he gets really mad, is amazing. His whole head turns red. I was actually a bit worried about him.

I am so excited to see Arj in Portland! He's my favorite secondary character.

Sherry
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:31 pm 
Professional Blonde

SheWolf wrote:
Sometimes on other boards people get reprimanded a bit for expressing anything deemed not entirely positive and that always bothers me, #1 because I think it takes a certain amount of arrogance and gall to do so and #2 I think we should all be allowed to express both negative and positive opinions as we see fit.

This is not all a direct reply to you per se SheWolf. Just the first bit really, the rest is kind of open to all so to speak. Thought I'd go on the record here just in case :)

I like to think you won't find that happening here. I like to let people express negative opinion should they wish. I've done so myself on occasion here so if I don't let others have the same freedom I'm not much of a decent admin or webmistress am I :lol:

All I will say is that generally people posting on a Conchords forum generally don't really have much in the negative to say about them or the show. They are here because they can forgive or get past the things that don't work for them and tend to focus on and celebrate the positives, which usually far outweigh the negative. However, often in the TV series for example people don't like a certain episode or some such which of course is their perogative. Others will of course respectfully disagree.

I tend to find most of the really negative crappy comments and stuff on places like Facebook or TheArseOfTheInternet. Those places and random other non Conchords forums have some mean and often rude things posted.

Mean and rude have no place here obviously. Constructive, well thought out comments and posts do. I like to think people here fall on the latter side of the fence :) That's all I'm saying ;)

Sherry
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:44 pm 
Professional Blonde

mockingbird wrote:
Ooh, controversy! (opens bag of popcorn, sits back)

I'd share my unpopular opinions but I'm afraid nobody would like me anymore.

Hey I shared my opinion with the tens of thousands of people, maybe more in news posts and an interview for a couple of large newspapers. People still talk to me :lol: Don't know about like me, but hey they are stuck with me if they come here :roll2: :snakeman:

Sherry
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:43 pm 
Professional Blonde

Methinks that somehow this thread will find a way to turn into talking about the positives anyhoo :lol:

Just a sneaking suspicion I have :popcorn:

My one gripe, and its only minor is that I wish they would do more with thier offical site instead of just using The ArseOfTheInternet as their way of communicating with fans. A lot of people (and me) hate the sodding site and won't use it. Not even to friend the Conchords.

O and while I"m here on a b**** fest FWIW I've often thought they could not brush their hair more often and wear less revealing clothes. Also the lack of facial hair on occasion has been horrifying :hrmpf: They need to tussle with a razor far less often. Shocking :stick:

dandy lyons
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:26 pm 
Consistently Mediocre

Sherry wrote:
I wish they would do more with thier offical site

I love that site! I go back every once in a while and re-read the posts. Still cracks me up! :lol:

mohumbhai mania
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:14 pm 
Can Attack!

Quote:
O and while I"m here on a b**** fest FWIW I've often thought they could not brush their hair more often and wear less revealing clothes. Also the lack of facial hair on occasion has been horrifying They need to tussle with a razor far less often. Shocking

So, Sherry, I'm a little confused, are you are anti-brushing, pro-facial hair and pro-skimpy clothing? Or anti-brushing, pro-facial hair and anti-skimpy clothing? I can get behind the first meaning 1000%, the other only 750%.
:D

I am bike-cheese!

WomanInThePark
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:58 pm 
Registered Rhymnecologist

I want them to have a third season, which I believe is not too popular. I'm sorry and I know it's selfish and I know they are tired and have families and lives and that they are running out of songs but they are still funny and I am not ready for them to leave just yet.
Okay. Out of my system.

kellysouthpaw
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:14 pm 
She's like Switzerland

WomanInThePark wrote:
I want them to have a third season, which I believe is not too popular. I'm sorry and I know it's selfish and I know they are tired and have families and lives and that they are running out of songs but they are still funny and I am not ready for them to leave just yet.
Okay. Out of my system.

I'm with you there - only because I would really like to see the guys on the show get popular. I mean, if the name of the very last episode is any indication "Evicted", it sounds as if there won't be any resolution.

If this is truly going to be the last season ever, I'd like for there to be somewhat of success for them as musicians on the show.

However, knowing what it took for them to get this season together (song writing, episode writing, etc) - I wouldn't want them to start resenting the show.

I guess another unpopular view I've had is that I'm not a fan of Mel. I think KS is a great Mel, I just don't like the character itself. She just crosses too many lines...for instance - there have been a couple times in S2 when she did things that were just BEYOND creepy and it really made me anxious just watching it.

Bad Atom
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:05 am 
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

WomanInThePark wrote:
Okay. Out of my system.

That's funny, I was going to say I hope this is their last season, and I thought that was another unpopular opinion. I'd like them to end on a high note and leave the audience wanting more.

WomanInThePark
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:14 am 

I do too, but... I don't know. I'm selfish. I know their show is not perfect, but the devil you know rather than the devil you don't, right? At least a show is at least a show. What if they go on with their lives and stay home with their families instead of entertaining me! The nerve! I do not know. I will gather some sense-making opinions when I am ready.

mockingbird
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:36 am 

Sherry wrote:
I wish they would do more with thier offical site instead of just using The ArseOfTheInternet as their way of communicating with fans.

Me too!

VaiVedrai
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:48 am 

Bad Atom wrote:
WomanInThePark wrote:
Okay. Out of my system.

That's funny, I was going to say I hope this is their last season, and I thought that was another unpopular opinion. I'd like them to end on a high note and leave the audience wanting more.
That's what happened with the short-lived series jPod...CBC cancelled it after the first season :tsk: (despite its high ratings and rave reviews ), and the season/series ends with a character falling into a coma. I guess we'll never know what happens after that...

But to get back on the FotC line of thought, I'm ambivalent about there being another season. It would be great if they did put one out there, but if they instead just concentrated on their music, I would be happy with that too. As artists, I respect their work and whatever they choose to do will still have my support.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next