3rd season speculation

The place for all Conchords HBO convo

Moderator: Venus

3rd season speculation

Postby Sherry » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:59 am

Because, you know, its rumoured, gossiped, wanted by many, not by some.

What I've read on my travels round the interweb this past week. OK so one snippet. I did read something else only I can't find the link. When I do I shall post.

is it true that they probably won't to a 3rd season of FotC?

2009-04-09 06:01 am UTC
I heard them tell a bunch of people that they are thinking about it.. but thats it.

And this is not a trusted source, just a random quote taken from a LJ entry somewhere :lol:
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Re: 3rd season speculation

Postby WomanInThePark » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:55 pm

Is it just me, or does it seem like everyone but the guys themselves is all for it?
Beth, did you really need to fake your death?
WomanInThePark
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Sherry » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:04 pm

WomanInThePark wrote:Is it just me, or does it seem like everyone but the guys themselves is all for it?

Nope not just you.

When you consider they didn't really plan on the second season, a third seems a bit of a stretch.

I think they would both like to be doing other things now. The show takes a huge amoutn of time from their year and doesn't leave much room for anything else. The Conchords was always a part time gig for them and I am guessing they are very tired of it being full time and then some.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Carol » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:39 pm

I don't know the guys as you do, Sherry, (I don't know them AT ALL!) but I've gleaned from what I've read that they are probably happy to have this portion of their lives over with. And I can't blame them-and for the reasons you've mentioned.

I'd like to see them go back to NZ and work on individual projects that they may have lined up. BUT I would hope that they would remain together, writing new material, and then present themselves again-on their terms- to us. Maybe in two or three years?

I'm wondering, Sherry, who approached whom in regards to the series? Did they think they might be interested and HBO happened to propose it or was the tv show something they'd never considered doing? In what I've read, it seems they went to NBC first, which would lead me to believe that they were interested in making a series. (However, according to JB, they went into it blindly--as in not knowing/understanding what all it would entail.)

Along the same line, as far as FOTC being a hobby that went wildly out of control........to me that speaks volumes about their naivete of their own talents. How they could have thought they could present themselves on screen and NOT become phenoms is beyond my thinking. I suppose they don't realize their own capacity to captivate. To me, that's refreshingly wonderful. Genuine humility is such a rare quality and it's just one more reason I'm so fond of the fellas. (Sorry for the editorial.)

Gosh, they have families now. I can see them wanting to just give it up for a time. I just hope it's not for always..........I'm still hoping for an intimate, club show somewhere down the line, in the not so distant future. After all, I'd still like to be alive when/if they return to my neck of the woods. :)
Carol

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:47 pm

BUT I would hope that they would remain together, writing new material, and then present themselves again-on their terms- to us. Maybe in two or three years?

That's what I would like, too. Even if it's just them maybe contributing music for a movie for Taika or something.

I thought the ending was perfect. I would love a third season, just to see the characters again, but that whole joke about a Christmas special? I so wish it was true. I think that would be perfect. The Christmas special was an amazing capper to the two seasons of the original Office.

Also, I think HBO is dropping hints to them via the press because I will bet dollars to donuts, they are not returning calls to HBO right now.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby Carol » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:37 pm

Also, I think HBO is dropping hints to them via the press because I will bet dollars to donuts, they are not returning calls to HBO right now.

I'm betting you're right!
Carol

Postby SheWolf » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:54 pm

WomanInThePark wrote:Is it just me, or does it seem like everyone but the guys themselves is all for it?
We don't know that they aren't for it. All we know is that they are considering it. In my book that's never a no.

I would suspect they need (& deserve) a break but just because yonks ago they claimed to never want this to be a full time thing doesn't necessarily mean that they haven't changed their minds since it's gone big. They can still strike while the iron is hot and on their own terms. They've had lots of time to ponder what all of this means and none of us are privvy to that pondering.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby ardy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:39 pm

1st season + 2nd season = we get to do what we want, when we want, how we want..if we want to at all...

i think they're probably weighing lots of options, offers and ideas.
they're under no deadline.
the ball is in their court now.

HBO is the one under pressure and squirming....
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...
ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby mohumbhai mania » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:43 pm

HBO is the one under pressure and squirming....

Yep, they're acting like a sports team trying to get a popular free agent to re-sign when he holds all the contractual cards.

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:44 pm

I agree - I think the boys are the ones holding ALL the cards right now - now is their chance to set their own time table so that they can take their time and do it on THEIR schedule. I think if they do it that way, the 3rd season would be SPECTACULAR. Sometimes tight time constraints show messy results. Not saying season 1 or 2 was at all messy, but I think given ample time, the show could be even MORE genius than it already was/is.
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:17 am

I've mentioned this before, and now it applies to both of them - they have children to consider, and there are two ways to think about it, think, think about it:
1, they want to be with the little darlings and watch them grow, and enjoy the precious formative years;
OR 2, they want to provide for the little dears in every way possible, get their education paid for, etc, and HBO is making them an offer they can't refuse. The money may be just too good to pass up, and in this economy, with so many people not working.... :dunno:

I still think no matter what they are offered, they will decide what's right for each of them and their respective families.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby WomanInThePark » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:40 pm

What if one wanted to and the other didn't?
Beth, did you really need to fake your death?
WomanInThePark

Postby Sherry » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:46 pm

WomanInThePark wrote:What if one wanted to and the other didn't?

They'd make half a season. Or a full season of half episodes. Or failing that, just the latter half of the season. They'd skip the first 5/6 episodes, depending on who wins the coin toss.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby vmh » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:02 pm

WomanInThePark wrote:What if one wanted to and the other didn't?

Or one Conchord might attempt replacing the other one with a cassette tape again.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby mohumbhai mania » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:59 am

Or depending on which Conchord decided to sign on, they'd get either Todd Barry or Demetri Martin to fill in. :lol:

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Next

Return to HBO TV series