April 29 - Chicago (second of two shows)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby eorious » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:46 am

Here's a set list of tonight's show:

Too Many Dicks On the Dance Floor
Hurt Feelings
Bret's Day (hearing this live made me absolutely giddy, they said they hadn't done it live before)
Stana
The Most Beautiful Girl (in the room)
Ex-girlfriends
Jenny
I Told You I was Freekie
I'm Not Crying
A Kiss is Not a Contract
Bus Driver's Song
Mutha'uckers
Business Time
Pencils in the Wind
Sugalumps
Same Girl
Encore:
Demon Woman
Foux de Fa Fa
Robots

I didn't stick around to see if there was a M&G, since I have to be at work early tomorrow. I'd be curious to know if there was one. I got the poster and it seems different than what I heard last night's looked like. I can post a picture tomorrow if no one beats me to it.

The crowd was extremely well-behaved in my opinion. I actually think the guys thought we were too boring. From where I was, it didn't sound like anyone even joined in for the ex-girlfriends chorus. But the concert was amazing!

Whambi
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Whambi » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:56 am

....er, um, I lost my Papermate Expressions Mini pen so I don't have a set list for tonight
and I have terrible recall without writing stuff down, so I'll attempt to recall as much as possible....in no particular order

Starting with the encores since they are fresh in my mind
Demon Woman
Foux Da Fa Fa
Robots (Humans are Dead)

Jemaine tried to set the omnichord on the blues setting for Choir of Ex, but said it wouldn't work, used the Latin Beat, then went back to the original setting

They played for the 1st time on tour Bret's song from Episode 10 ..... about meeting a woman, Cherie, maybe...not sure of the title, he had the lyrics printed out beside himself, they still messed it up, but they both laughed it off

Jemaine had a omnichord pause during Choir

Oh yeah, even before they went on stage some stagehand in a plaid print jacket started walking towards Jem's chair and already a heckler yells take your clothes...or was it pants off?

I think I only heard one Freebird yell, an obnoxious woman kept yelling to Jemaine or Je-r-maine as she said, she wouldn't quit
the audience was really roudy tonight

Help me out fellow midwestern What The Folkers, my mind is drawing a blank..... :hrm:
If I did I'd hold you tight into every single night & we'd fall asleep together & we'd wake up in the sunlight. Well, maybe I'm a dreamer, but, maybe one day you'll see, that dreams are......
......Yeah, yeah she gets it, stop cockblocking me!

Whambi
Half a shapely halibut

Re: April 29 - Chicago (second of two shows)

Postby Whambi » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:06 am

the poster is really bizzare tonight, its from the same people as last night TheBirdMachine.com and Jemaine looks like he is squid, he is all entangled in tentacles, Bret I believe is supposed to be some kind of yellow puffer amphibius something or other, but actually it looks like he has penis arms, it is truly a wild poster. Jemaines hands threw or behind Bret and the three hands are reaching for underpants. The background is blue and there are underpants, toast, socks, eggs, flashlights floating all around them.

It does compliment yesterdays poster, same cartoonish Bret and Jemaine faces and the same style of backwards lettering
If I did I'd hold you tight into every single night & we'd fall asleep together & we'd wake up in the sunlight. Well, maybe I'm a dreamer, but, maybe one day you'll see, that dreams are......
......Yeah, yeah she gets it, stop cockblocking me!

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:21 am

Twitter

MemphisQueen @whatthefolk sorry for the late update - just got to hotel (sleepy!!). they played "my eyes fell on a girl" tonight for the first time.

I think she means what others are calling Bret's Song/Day here.

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:25 am

Sherry wrote:Twitter

MemphisQueen @whatthefolk sorry for the late update - just got to hotel (sleepy!!). they played "my eyes fell on a girl" tonight for the first time.

I think she means what others are calling Bret's Song/Day here.

Argh! I really like that song, and it seemed perfect for a live performance. Oh, well, at least everyone's getting something different.

prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:57 am

I was wondering if they were going to play that song on tour. It has such the Billy Joel 'Piano Man' feel that would probably translate well live.

I saw a clip from the Toronto show, first night that they played Foux du fa fa, and it ran after the song for a few minutes. Jemaine started playing "Bret's Day" as Bret was walking back from the keyboard, with this giant grin on his face. Bret just said..."You're dreamin man. Jemaine's dreaming. There is no way I can remember the lyrics to that song. I couldn't even remember them when we were filming."

I am really happy that they gave it a go.

Any word yet on a meet and greet???
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:03 am

Great to hear they played 'Bret's Day', I love that song! :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:14 pm

Another excellent show! Any word on a M&G?

Jemaine started playing "Bret's Day" as Bret was walking back from the keyboard, with this giant grin on his face. Bret just said..."You're dreamin man. Jemaine's dreaming. There is no way I can remember the lyrics to that song. I couldn't even remember them when we were filming."

Need to see that! :D

Did Jemaine do his talk in between?
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:29 pm

LauraK wrote:Another excellent show! Any word on a M&G?

Jemaine started playing "Bret's Day" as Bret was walking back from the keyboard, with this giant grin on his face. Bret just said..."You're dreamin man. Jemaine's dreaming. There is no way I can remember the lyrics to that song. I couldn't even remember them when we were filming."

Need to see that! :D

Did Jemaine do his talk in between?

Oh Laura, I was speaking about the clip from the Toronto show, which is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlFrkx3p87g&feature=channel_page

They didn't do the song there... last night was the first time they played it live. Sorry for the confusion!!! Hopefully there is a clip out there of it...

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:01 pm

I still think it'd be funny to see Jemaine gently nudging Bret to do it by playing it as Bret was walking back from the keyboard. I can just see Jemaine with that big grin on his face. There's probably some inside joke between them about that whole thing that we're not even aware of!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:48 pm

robyn- I understood, should've separated my comments a bit better. I just really want to see that clip- it sounds so cute! Will watch it now- thanks! :)
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:51 pm

Poop....I thought that little bit would be in that clip. Do you know if anyone has it, robyn?
ImageImage

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:16 pm

LauraK wrote:Poop....I thought that little bit would be in that clip. Do you know if anyone has it, robyn?

Crap, I likely posted the wrong one. Will find it- I just watched it yesterday! Give me ten.... or maybe 30 with stupid african internet connection.

EDIT:
30 seconds that is! It was Mother Uckers...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY-eWvn3Nfk&feature=channel_page

I forgot about the "sometimes I always think bit". Adorable.
Last edited by prettyrobyngirl on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:16 pm

Bret was wearing argyle at the m&g but I don't want to repost here without permission.

I just wanted to say that I LOVE argyle :tonqe:

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:22 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:Bret was wearing argyle at the m&g but I don't want to repost here without permission.

I just wanted to say that I LOVE argyle :tonqe:

Tease.

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”