Tongan Ninja

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!

Moderator: SuzyBatt

Postby Kate » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:21 pm

conchordgirl wrote:Just because it makes me smile!

TN is on my top 5 favorite movie list. GREAT GREAT Movie.

--Nicole

All I can say is, you know a man is a red-hot babe when he can still turn you on while wearing a hair-net. Don't you just want to kiss the bejeezus out of that man? I know I do! :smooch:
Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby specialkay » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:29 pm

YES :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Growing OLD is mandatory but growing UP is optional" :)
~KAREN~
specialkay
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Gayle » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:16 pm

--Nicole

This interview with him was my favorit part of the whole film. He is so loveably dopey here.
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.
Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Kate » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:45 pm

Gayle wrote:

--Nicole

This interview with him was my favorit part of the whole film. He is so loveably dopey here.

AND, he can carry off wearing a hairnet! :shock:

Until now, hairnets had been in the same category as speedos for the opposite sex. I can't believe how adorable he is standing there in that seriously dorky thing!
Kate

Postby conchordgirl » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:25 pm

I think the word you are looking for is..adorkable. As in, Jemaine is so adorkable in the interview. *sigh* You would think that schoolgirl crushes would end by the time you are in your 30s.

--Nicole
conchordgirl

Postby Gayle » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:31 pm

conchordgirl wrote:I think the word you are looking for is..adorkable. As in, Jemaine is so adorkable in the interview. *sigh* You would think that schoolgirl crushes would end by the time you are in your 30s.

--Nicole

Hee! Adorkable - that's it, that's the word!

I think this word can be defined by the way he so lovingly recounts the time that a mouse was put in his tea. Good times, good times.
Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby conchordgirl » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:19 am

I have to say that I thought Raybon Kan and David Fane were hilarious during the commentary and "making of" mockumentary. They cracked me up! Poor Raybon being teased about his cellphone ring. I liked his explanation about that.. Makes me laugh just thinking about it. :lol:

--Nicole
conchordgirl

Postby Gayle » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:30 am

conchordgirl wrote:I have to say that I thought Raybon Kan and David Fane were hilarious during the commentary and "making of" mockumentary. They cracked me up! Poor Raybon being teased about his cellphone ring. I liked his explanation about that.. Makes me laugh just thinking about it. :lol:

--Nicole

David Fane is insane (that rhymes). He's a total loon - and very concerned with the sexual preferences of others and large-thighed women. And he was SMASHED by the end of the commentary. :partyman:
Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby conchordgirl » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:51 am

Gayle wrote:
conchordgirl wrote:I have to say that I thought Raybon Kan and David Fane were hilarious during the commentary and "making of" mockumentary. They cracked me up! Poor Raybon being teased about his cellphone ring. I liked his explanation about that.. Makes me laugh just thinking about it. :lol:

--Nicole

David Fane is insane (that rhymes). He's a total loon - and very concerned with the sexual preferences of others and large-thighed women. And he was SMASHED by the end of the commentary. :partyman:

HA! I was wondering about that! They were all so funny. Wouldn't you love to see a movie with those three in it!! I mean another movie.. because obviously they were already in a movie together..ok, I'm babbling. :D

Favorite part of commentary: Jemaine talking about the bikini girls..
Favorite part of mockumentary: Jemaine talking about the bikini girls.

Hm..there is a trend here..

--Nicole
conchordgirl

Postby Gayle » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:10 pm

conchordgirl wrote:Favorite part of commentary: Jemaine talking about the bikini girls..
Favorite part of mockumentary: Jemaine talking about the bikini girls.
--Nicole

Yes! He is so coy about the whole thing. It's very endearing.
Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Kate » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:49 pm

For those who do not have this movie, but would like to buy a copy, Overstock.com just sent me a sale e-mail that says they have new copies for $13.52, and $1.40 shipping.

http://www.overstock.com/sm---pg-PRODUC ... 82125.html

:thumb:
Kate

Postby specialkay » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:15 pm

Thanks Kate!
Big Baby Kisses again :lol: It was hard reading everyone's posts and not having it...so, now maybe I will be able to share the Jemaine luv! :boogie:
"Growing OLD is mandatory but growing UP is optional" :)
~KAREN~
specialkay

Postby Kate » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:29 pm

specialkay wrote:Thanks Kate!
Big Baby Kisses again :lol: It was hard reading everyone's posts and not having it...so, now maybe I will be able to share the Jemaine luv! :boogie:

Oh, I'm so happy! :purple: It's a great piece of entertainment. You'll love it. At that price I ordered several as stocking-stuffers for friends. And I bought one for my Tai Chi teacher, who also teaches other Martial Arts classes. He loves the whole Bruce Lee-type of Kung Fu genre of movies, and has a pretty good sense of humor, so I think he'll enjoy this. I was stumped as to what "little something" to give him, so this is perfect.
Kate

Postby Gayle » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:27 am

specialkay wrote:Thanks Kate!

The extras and the commentary are the best parts of the film! Jemaine isn't in that much of the film, really. But with the commentary, it's non-stop Jemaine!
Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby conchordgirl » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:31 am

Ok, maybe this is related or maybe it's not but I found it fascinating.
This article is from our local newspaper. I cut and pasted it so it wouldn't be necessary to register on the site. If you are interested in learning more, here is a good link I found: http://www.newzealand.com/travel/about- ... e/haka.cfm

Trinity's chant is Tonga-tied

Players with roots in Pacific nation lead popular haka

12:59 AM CST on Friday, December 9, 2005

By BRANDON GEORGE / The Dallas Morning News

EULESS – Euless Trinity offensive linemen Saia Falahola, Manaaki Vaitai and Moni "George" Folau began speaking in Tongan during their football playoff game against El Paso Franklin two weeks ago at Texas Stadium.

Falahola poked fun at Folau, calling him ugly. Trinity linemen often speak the language of Tonga, a South Pacific island nation, during the course of a game for two reasons – to distract their opponent or to discuss strategy.

"The defensive players were looking at us like we were crazy," Falahola said. "They didn't know what to think."

Tongans have a long tradition at Trinity. Many of the school's best players in the last 20 years have been Tongans.

And a dance and chant that this year's players perform have endeared them even more to fans.

Coach Steve Lineweaver said this season's team, which plays for the Class 5A Division I state championship Saturday in Round Rock against Converse Judson, has as many Tongans as any of his teams. At the start of the season, 22 varsity players, including 10 starters, were Tongan – about 30 percent of the team – and several have been promoted to varsity since the start of the playoffs.

In nine seasons, the number of Tongans on the varsity team has almost doubled.

Judy Ramos, director of communications for the Hurst-Euless-Bedford school district, estimates that about 10 percent of the 2,081 students at Trinity are Tongan. Falahola, Folau and defensive lineman Pauliasi Falahola, who is Saia's cousin, said there are more Tongans in each grade this year at Trinity than ever before.

Lineweaver said Trinity's coaches encourage their Tongan players to speak in their native language.
"They can just about say exactly what they're going to do, and you certainly wouldn't be able to tell," Lineweaver said. "To have your own language is definitely an advantage. Hey, whatever works."

Lineweaver, who began coaching at Trinity in 1976, said he's had Tongans at every position except wide receiver and quarterback, but most of them have been offensive or defensive linemen because of their large bodies and physical nature. Falahola (6-2, 310 pounds), Vaitai (6-3, 273) and Folau (5-9, 372) are part of an offensive line affectionately nicknamed "The Hawgs."

"They're big-boned kids, but they carry their weight well and are very athletic" Lineweaver said. "When I give out their weight to college recruiters, they can't believe it sometimes."

The immigration of the Tongans from their 170-island nation in the South Pacific to Euless began in the early 1980s. Vea Vakauta, Falahola's mother, said Tongans immigrated to Texas in search of better-paying jobs. Vakauta, whose husband, Akuila, has worked at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport since 1990, said American Airlines appealed to Tongans because the company was hiring at the time and employees were offered flight discounts, which enabled Tongans to return home cheaply.

Falahola said Trinity has so many Tongans because the school is near the airport and many Tongans want to remain close to their family and attend Trinity because of tradition.

Lineweaver said he had his first Tongan player in 1982 – Fotu Katoa, a linebacker who went on to play college ball at Brigham Young.

Trinity's diverse student body has embraced the Tongans this year like never before, in large part because of a dance and chant called the haka.

Trinity players have performed the haka, a traditional dance of New Zealand's Maori people that is traced to the early 19th century, before and after each game this season. Trinity faithful have arrived early and stayed late to see the chant-and-step routine. The players squat and stomp their feet with their arms held parallel in front of their chests. They then slap their hands on their thighs and begin to chant.

"Our fans love it," Folau said. "They'll be chanting, 'haka, haka, haka.' "

Lineweaver said some of the Tongan players approached him last January about allowing the team to perform the haka as a means to express team unity. Lineweaver, a self-proclaimed old-school coach, endorsed the idea.

Lineweaver said if Trinity was going to do the dance and chant, all players would have to learn the routine and do it in a way not to taunt their opponents.

Quarterback Trevor Vittatoe said it wasn't difficult to learn the motions but acknowledged the words were hard to learn.

"One of the players made a video that walked us step-by-step through it," Vittatoe said. "Every week, players would get a sheet of paper with all the words on it, and we learned it that way."

Vittatoe said he was skeptical at first about the haka but eventually came around.

"To see the fans in the stands erupt when we do it – it gets my adrenaline pumping, and I love it now."

Lineweaver took it so seriously that he began devoting time for his players to learn the dance and chant toward the end of many spring practices.

"The hardest thing is learning the words," Folau said.

Folau said Trinity students and fans now have haka T-shirts, towels and wristbands. The T-shirts say: "Got Haka?"

Lineweaver said he was surprised last week when the A&M Consolidated coach asked him about the haka before the state semifinal game.

"He said, 'Coach, when are you going to do that dance?' " Lineweaver said. "I said, 'Oh, about seven or eight minutes before the game.' He said, 'Oh, good. We want to come out and watch it – we've heard a lot about it.' He wanted all his kids to see it, so he brought all his kids out to watch it."

Saia Falahola said the team hasn't had any internal problems this season.

"Every time someone thinks about the haka, they think about the family," he said. "They don't do anything to break the unity of the team. The haka has brought us really close. We've had nothing but love and respect for each other, and it's shown on the field.

"No matter if you're Tongan, black, white or Mexican, we're all the same at Trinity and headed toward the same goal. It's cool to see all the different cultures combine to make a championship team."

E-mail bgeorge@dallasnews.com

Euless Trinity (13-1) vs. Converse Judson (10-4),
Class 5A Division I state final, noon Saturday, Round Rock ISD Stadium (Fox Sports Southwest; KDKR-FM 91.3/90.5/97.5)

THE HAKA CHANT
The haka is a traditional dance of New Zealand's Maori people that is traced to the early 19th century. Maori tribes performed the haka when coming together or before going to battle. The All Blacks, a New Zealand rugby team, has performed the haka since the early 1900s. The Trinity football team has performed the haka before and after each game this season as a means of team unity. Here are the words of the haka used by Trinity's players during the chant:

Ka mate! Ka mate!
Ka ora! Ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate!
Ka ora! Ka ora!
Tenei te tangata puhuruhuru
Nana nei i tiki mai, whakawhiti te ra!
A, hupane! A, kaupane!
A, hupane! A, kaupane!
Whiti te ra!

Translated to:
It is death! It is death!
It is life! It is life!