It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:58 pm

How Do You Do That? - Forum tech help

Forum Guidelines, registration and general info including FeedBack and Tech help and Testing sections. Please read before posting.

Re: How Do You Do That?

Postby Nancy » Thu May 14, 2009 5:38 am

I thought I'd post this because I just went through an hour of YouTube Hell! :bang:
YouTube recently updated to Adobe Flash Player 10, which I thought I'd installed, but every time I tried to view a video, I got the same message, saying I needed to upload the newest version of Adobe Flash Player. It was very frustrating, to say the least. :rolleyes:

I finally went to the Adobe forums and found a miracle worker who posted this as a fixit, if you're having trouble:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/430948

This isn't exactly a How Do You Do That, but more of a It Worked For Me, And I'm Passing It On. :D
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby vmh » Thu May 14, 2009 5:57 am

Nancy Hillner wrote:I thought I'd post this because I just went through an hour of YouTube Hell! :bang:
YouTube recently updated to Adobe Flash Player 10, which I thought I'd installed, but every time I tried to view a video, I got the same message, saying I needed to upload the newest version of Adobe Flash Player. It was very frustrating, to say the least. :rolleyes:

I finally went to the Adobe forums and found a miracle worker who posted this as a fixit, if you're having trouble:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/430948

This isn't exactly a How Do You Do That, but more of a It Worked For Me, And I'm Passing It On. :D

Ugggh, I remember going through that once. I kept installing it over and over and that didn't help. I remember the only thing that worked was uninstalling Adobe before I installed the new version. I forgot exactly what I did but it took me awhile to figure out. All that just to watch a few minutes of video. Thanks for adding that. Now, I'll remember where to look just in case the same thing happens again.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby Nancy » Thu May 14, 2009 6:51 am

I had e-mailed that great Mom Video to friends yesterday, and when I went to check the link, YouTube had a message saying they were working on the site. Today, I tried to check it, and I got the "you need to get the newest version of Adobe" message. Then I installed it, got the message it had been successful, but still couldn't view videos on YouTube, getting the "update version" message all over again! :x
Thank goodness I found the fixit, printed it out, and followed it word for word. :yay:
Now it's here in case someone else needs it. :D
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun May 17, 2009 6:40 am

Help! I have a magazine article that I'd like to post for members to see, but it's in the May/June issue which is not on their website yet, so I can't post a link to it. If I scan the article, is there a way to post it from my scan? (if it's legible? :roll: )
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby indigo_jones » Sun May 17, 2009 9:27 am

Post it as an image (or better yet, because of the size) post a link to the full-size image.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Sherry » Sun May 17, 2009 1:53 pm

Yup, some place like ImageShack for hosting. There is a how to in the Pic section here

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=105

But defo not the full size. Use a thumnail or link to the pic.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Nancy » Mon May 18, 2009 4:45 am

Okay, thanks for the help, folks. I didn't know if it was a different process for an article as opposed to a photo.

(Gulp) *plans her day tomorrow around lots of time on the computer* :roll:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Sherry » Mon May 18, 2009 8:06 am

Nope, they would both be saved as .jpg so you treat them the same way as any image.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby LauraK » Mon May 18, 2009 9:47 pm

You can do it, Nancy! Just wait, pretty soon you'll be posting links and pics all over the place like a pro! :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Nancy » Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 am

Okay, I wasn't able to post the scanned article because my scanner was screwed up. :cry:

But now, I sure could use some help:

I just went to forward an e-mail (which I've done millions of times before, with no problem), however when I went to choose from my contact list who I was going to send it to, I got a message saying my Address Book was EMPTY!!!!

I just used it last night, there's been no message from AOL that they were going to take all my contacts away, they're just gone!!!

I sent AOL a terse note asking where my contact list pages were, and the search produced nothing helpful, just four letter words from me.

Any ideas? Are they hiding out with Bowie in space somewhere, or should I get used to the fact that they're gone for good?
We're talking about 9 pages of info. :cry:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Sherry » Thu May 28, 2009 8:47 am

Blimey. I don't like AOL and never use them so can't really help. Is it an online account (ie done via your browser). Perhaps you can go through your emails from/to people and get their addresses that way? Or check the chat client (AIM) and see if they are stored there?

Is it possible you deleted it by mistake? I don't quite understand how you would lose an entire address book. Or how AOL would have the power to take it away. I am guessing you use their browser also? :worry: If you do, maybe consider changing to something that is more flexible. I'd use Opera or Firefox and get as far away from AOL as possible. Never put your trust in one thing. Have options. But thats just me :lol:

FWIW never store your email contacts in only one place or trust anyone (or company) to do it for you. I always have a back up of them all on my HD and only ever use my email client on my computer for my main email account. I have 5 online accounts and store some there also. The important ones I write down in my notebook. Also CC yourself in on email with everyone in your address book from time to time :lol: (You could probably get everyones email that way by checking your sent box and finding a CC to everyone). Or copy them over and email them to other accounts. That sort of thing.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Nancy » Fri May 29, 2009 2:30 am

Thanks for the sympathetic shoulder, Sherry. I have Verizon Broadband, which uses Internet Explorer. I got to keep my AOL account for free when I switched to Verizon.
I've had AOL for about 15 years with no problem, but they've been dicking around with things lately, like the basic appearance of e-mail messages, which I'm not too crazy about. I don't think it would be possible to delete a whole address book without knowing, because in order to edit any entry you have to click on each name individually and hit "Edit" first. Unless my memory has truly failed me, I think I would have remembered editing 9 pages of names. Personally, I think they've taken my contacts captive for ransom. :wink:
I have a lot of saved mail with lots of addresses, but the sad part is I had some of my Mom's relatives' addresses that I entered, and threw away the envelopes. :witsend:
If the list is truly gone, (I'm going back to peek now :nails:) I'll retrieve what I can from saved mail and phone calls, and accept the fact that it was time to separate the wheat from the chaff and scale down my contacts.
I'm also going to see if I had printed out the list. You're right about having important things in more than one place. :nod:
Earlier this year, I went to my cell phone dealer's and had them print out a list of all my cell phone numbers. My sister-in-law lost her phone (she drowned it, don't ask :? ), and she was truly lost. I learned from her problem. Hopefully, people will learn from this.
Again thanks for your suggestions.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby LauraK » Fri May 29, 2009 3:49 am

Definitely good suggestions.....I'm going to use one or two.

I'm hoping that AOHell is just messing around in their email stuff and when they've re-worked things, all of your addies will reappear. I've never heard of anything like this before.

Have you tried their online tech support?

Good luck!
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Nancy » Fri May 29, 2009 4:19 am

Well, I dunno what the heck is going on, but I logged on to AOL, and when I saw I only had one message, I knew things were really messed up. I usually have at least 50 messages. I checked the other e-mail that I don't use, Windows Mail :hrmpf: , and all my e-mails were there instead of on AOL! :shock: I remember this happening before, but I can't recall how I got the messages back to AOL. :dunno:

Anyway, I went back on to AOL, to just see what else was going on, and I hit the Contacts button, and.....VOILA! All my contacts were back!!! :yay:

I immediately printed every single one out. :worry: It took 20 pages, :waiting: but at least now I'm covered. Thank you Oh AOL gods, now fix the damn message glitch, and life will be good. :eyelashes:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri May 29, 2009 7:08 am

It was too late to edit that last post, but I just went back to good ol' AOL, and everything was as it should be - e-mails had been coming in, etc., as if nothing ever happened. I think they're trying to "Gaslight" me. (you know, make me think I'm going insane? :rolleyes: )
Well, AOL, it ain't gonna work! I have conquered you! (This time, at least. :worry: )

I do have one more tech-y question: when I log in to WTF, there are some options I can check, one being "Log me in automatically every time"
If I check that, would I be able to write long, long posts (like some of the this day in history ones) and not have to re-enter my password and username after I've timed out?
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Guidelines, registration and general info