What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Sherry
 Post subject: No swooning allowed - For the guys (and ladies too)
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:47 pm 
Professional Blonde

At least, not in this thread :lol:

After thinking about it for ages, discussing with other mods and reading some comments I've decided to float this boat and see if the guys on the forum want to make use of it. And any ladies also who are happy to not talk about how hot Bret and Jemaine are and other such delights when discussing the Conchords and their work :purple:

So, here is the non swoon thread. Where you can post about anything Conchords related and not see a swoon reply in sight :wtf:

If the thread sees some action and if people would like, it can be expanded elsewhere on the forum.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to remind people that there are plenty of active threads for discussing the delights of Bret and Jemaine's looks and so on. Pic threads, other threads in their respective forums and a fair few others. And just about every gig thread on this current tour :lol: So let's try to keep swooning posts to them where possible. Not everyone here is into posting about all that and reading it in so many threads can be off putting not just to some guys, but also some female members of the forum, old and new. I'm trying to find a happy balance and hope that with this little reminder that we may see things start to even out a little. Also as the tour winds up I am hoping that more normal service will resume and the hotness factor moves back to the pic threads and a couple of others.

Anyways, feel free to discuss :D Just not about that :tsk:

kellysouthpaw
 Post subject: Re: No swooning allowed - For the guys (and ladies too)
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:54 pm 
She's like Switzerland

So...Jemaine's guitar work on "Jenny" is particularly complex. It...intrigues me.

This is...SO much harder than I imagined it would be :worry:

mockingbird
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:45 pm 
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Hm, this is a strange new concept for me, lol. Just kidding. But honestly, part of the attractiveness for me IS their talent - so I start off talking about how great they are musically and comedically and I just sort of drift off into the land of heavy breathing. ;)

Anyway - I really posted to say "yeah that" to Kelly's post about the melody of Jenny. It's so beautiful. I also love the intro to Beautiful Girl for the same reason. Bowie has a great melody too. I've figured out a little bit of Beautiful Girl on guitar but I really need to find some decent tab of it.

I'm laughing at myself a little bit because Kelly's right - this is hard! I'm thinking about watching One Night Stand so I can watch how Jemaine plays Jenny and maybe pick up some of it, leading me to think about his hands on the guitar, leading me to think about... well, let's just say this thread may not be for me, lol.

vmh
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:49 pm 
A tasty piece of pastry

Jenny is one of my favorite FotC songs. There are a few moments where I forget it's meant to be comedic because some parts are just so pretty.

Because they incorporate music and comedy together, I often see reviews were they are compared to Tenacious D and Ween. Maybe it's just me but I don't understand these references. I can't really speak for Ween but from what I've seen of Tenacious D, they seem too jokey to be lumped in the same category. I don't see Flight of the Conchords as an actual band but they seem to parody pop music so well, it's hard to just view them as comedians.

If they started out in the music industry, I wonder if they would have been as successful. I think because they've started out in the comedy world, it's going to be much more difficult for them to be taken seriously as musicians later on (if that's what they choose to pursue), which is a shame.

Cuse
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:39 pm 
Registered Rhymnecologist

I have to admit, the whole swoon hijack thing is pretty annoying to me. :p

Understandable, I guess. When I was first exposed to FOTC, the first thing I thought was how Jemaine was so charismatic and a great storyteller ("Part six!"). I would tell people that I thought he'd go solo one day and start making movies. But then Bret did his angry dance and I really started appreciating him. Now I kinda feel like Jemaine is the PR guy and Bret is the creative one. That's not a bad thing. I kind of still envision Jemaine going off to star in movies, but now I think Bret will become a big-time behind the scenes guy (producer etc).

mockingbird
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:43 pm 

I picture Jemaine being the lyrics guy and Bret being the musical one. I have no idea if that's accurate or not. I think Jemaine is insanely creative though.

Cuse
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:51 pm 

Yeah, this is purely being an outside observer. I have no idea how the creative process goes behind doors. But generally I'd probably agree with the music/lyrics thing, too. And no, I don't mean Jemaine isn't creative. Just that their success has to have a lot to do with his charisma.

Oh, also I think they're both incredibly quick-witted. I like to think that I'm fairly intelligent, but I'm a thinker and need to let things marinate in my brain. If people yelled things out to me at a concert, I'd probably not respond for 5 minutes. :lol:

LauraK
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:10 pm 
Boom King!

Cuse wrote:
If people yelled things out to me at a concert, I'd probably not respond for 5 minutes

imagining this....laughing my butt off..... :lol:

I think both of them have an open door in front of them and can probably do whatever they choose. They both are so creative and talented and I really think Jemaine underestimates himself as an actor. In E vs S he bowled me over. He was Jarrod....he made me cry. I did not expect that movie to affect me the way that it did but it's wonderful- kudos to Taika, Loren, and Jemaine. I'm sure there are more who deserve credit but I'm going with who I know and what I saw.

I think if they put their minds to it and really wanted to, they could probably be a serious band......but there'd always be those yelling for "Business Time!" and "Bus Driver's Song!" and who knows....maybe they'd slip a bit of humor in.....

Like you all have said- they're talented musicians. The arrangement of Bowie is terrific. How many other musicians do we see playing: (Jemaine) Bass, Guitar, Electric guitar, vocals, Piano, Ukulele and Omnichord~~~(Bret) Guitar, Piano, Drums, Vocals, Ukulele??? That's pretty impressive! The lyrics they come up with are tight! Some of their stuff, like in R vs H and Stana reminds of Eminem. They're wordsmiths.

I dunno...I'm trying not to be too praiseful (there's that made-up word again!) but I can't help it! I think they have the ability to write their own tickets right now and the talent to back it up.

There. No swooning! :D

songbird
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:20 pm 
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Ok, no swooning...I shall not swoon...

The guys are incredibly talented. Being someone with an extreme passion for music, I often listen to songs very critically, and it takes a lot to impress me. I'm one of those people who go to a broadway production and will sit there going, "ooh, I don't like her voice, too much breath in the sound" or "ooh, that song was very flat" as opposed to "i like this song!". That being said, it just goes to show how incredibly talented B + J are, because there isn't one song that I don't like. There are certainly some that I like more than others, but I don't think they've ever written a bad song. They use the perfect balance of humour and music technicality, and I think that's what makes their songs so incredible. I mean, if you really listen closely to the arrangements of their songs, it just boggles the mind...

The other thing that I think is great is the amount of work that they put into their music. During their filming of season 2, they were in the recording studio almost EVERY WEEKEND recording songs for iTunes and their upcoming album. I personally did a CD recording last night, and it took 4 and a half hours to record 4 songs. And that was without all of the complex mixing and instruments that the guys use. I can't even imagine how long they must spend in the studio during those times recording their stuff. I just kept saying to myself last night, "I can't believe FOTC does this EVERY WEEKEND!! Well, if they can do that, then I can get through 4 hours..." It just really made me appreciate the work that they put into their albums even more than I already do.

Wow, I did it!! No swooning!! :D

Image Image

vmh
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:23 pm 
A tasty piece of pastry

Check us out! We're on our best behavior.

Corrine
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:43 am 
Consistently Mediocre

I think this is a good idea for a thread. I always feel a bit sorry for the few guys that want to discuss topics amongst a gaggle of swooning girls.

One of the first things that struck me about FOTC, like many people have said, is simply how talented they are. It is quite extraordinary that they are not only musicians, but also comedians, and actors. Additionally, not only are they musicians, but they can compose, play (and parody) virtually any music style. It is quite an accomplishment. On top of it, they are quick witted, and very intelligent. It is quite impressive, and I really do hope that they continue with their careers.

By the way, I would love to see these guys host Saturday Night Live. I would think that might be something that could happen, particularly since there were Saturday Night Live cast members in FOTC.

Cuse
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:21 am 

One of my things to do before I die is to be in the audience for SNL. Doesn't really matter the quality of the cast that season. The lottery for tickets only happens in August and I've been trying for years. I'd die if I went and FOTC were there. But I seriously doubt it'll ever happen. I don't know if people turn it down, or Lorne is choosy about who hosts, but I just can't picture them there.

mockingbird
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:32 am 

Cuse wrote:
Yeah, this is purely being an outside observer. I have no idea how the creative process goes behind doors. But generally I'd probably agree with the music/lyrics thing, too. And no, I don't mean Jemaine isn't creative. Just that their success has to have a lot to do with his charisma.

Jemaine is definitely charismatic. But then there's the whole Figwit thing, which leads me to speculate that Bret was just destined to be famous. I still can't really figure that out, lol. How does someone appear in a movie for less than a minute and become some kind of cult hero without even really doing anything? :hrm:

Quote:
Oh, also I think they're both incredibly quick-witted. I like to think that I'm fairly intelligent, but I'm a thinker and need to let things marinate in my brain. If people yelled things out to me at a concert, I'd probably not respond for 5 minutes. :lol:

I really admire that about them. They are able to get on stage and deal with these random things that happen. They stay so cool. It would be hard enough for me to get on stage and do something completely prepared and rehearsed in front of 3,000 people, never mind if I thought the crowd was going to yell out random things at me, lol.

Corrine wrote:
By the way, I would love to see these guys host Saturday Night Live. I would think that might be something that could happen, particularly since there were Saturday Night Live cast members in FOTC.

That would potentially be very funny. :nod:

helgecko
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:44 am 

Noooooooooooo!!!

I'm sorry, this will probably be a very unpopular opinion, but I REALLY hope they never go on SNL.
I've only ever really watched it a couple of times (so, it could possibly be argued that I don't really know what I'm talking about), when Hugh Laurie hosted twice.
And I reckon if they can make Hugh Laurie kind of un-funny, then they can kill just about anything.

now, if only I had that *hiding behind a couch* smilie right about now......

Image Image Image Image

deliriumtree
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:07 am 

Snl's kind of hit and miss in recent years. Will Ferrel and Justin Timberlake were about the only times I think it was good this year. Justin should just be part of the cast, it would save the show. Everytime he hosts I think "Oh crap! why!" But, he's seriously funny and then I feel bad for being so negative lol. So, I don't know...it could go really well or we might all have to permanently block it out of our minds. Probably depends on how much creative input they personally get.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next