What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
Venus
 Post subject: Re: No swooning allowed - For the guys (and ladies too)
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:09 pm 
She did indeed have the time of her life

I would definitely recommend 'Folk The World'. I ordered it online from smokecds.com along with Prototype- Video Kid from loop.co.nz and yes I remember FTW being around 27 NZ dollars like Corrine said which is pretty decent. 'Something Special For The Ladies' aka Ladies of the World sounds brilliant, it sounds like a performance which could be on 'Late Night with Jools Holland' complete with the big band etc:lol:. The version of 'Mermaid's on the CD is slower but still sounds great. I've listened to the version of Hotties and Bus Driver's song on numerous occasions before I purchased the CD thanks to YouTube and they never get old. :)

Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

mohumbhai mania
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:00 pm 
Can Attack!

I did order FTW as well, and SmokeCDs has excellent prices (with the exchange) and decent customer service. I've also been finding stuff by NZ bands like the Bats well in advance of the US release date. Nice!

I'm also really looking forward to the re-release of the radio show. I love "Brian's" ad libs, I still just die at the "bull in the tavern" bit.

I am bike-cheese!

LauraK
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:10 pm 
Boom King!

Corrine wrote:
mockingbird wrote:
Bad Atom wrote:
I would never want to see the guys anywhere near SNL, not in its current form, anyway. It's the complete opposite of what they're about. It sounds like a bad movie pitch - "two humble, self-made foreign musicians try to find success in the tedium of bland, created-by-committee mainstream American television."

See, I thought about this, but I assumed FOTC would have some creative input if they were on the show. I imagine Justin Timberlake helps write the songs he does when he's on, but maybe not I guess. I actually think SNL has been kind of funny lately. I don't know their names but I think the guy with the big nose and the guy with the black hair are pretty funny together. So I think it could work. It would certainly be a juxtaposition of comic styles, but FOTC have been known to get kind of over the top themselves, they are not always the masters of understatement and dryness that they are known for being (just take a look at my sig. Or not, Oaky, if it bothers you. :wink:)

See I was thinking like Mockingbird too. Part of the reason I think they would be good on SNL is because Bret and Jemaine are comedy writers and I think they would have some input if they hosted. Also, I think there is some mutual appreciation since two of the SNL cast members were on the FOTC show (Brahbrah and Stefan). I also find "the guy with the big nose" is funny too. That's Andy Samberg. He definitely does some video shorts that push the comedic envelope, and some of them (but not all) are very funny in my opinion. One that still makes me laugh are "Lazy Sunday" or "Chronicles of Narnia" short that is actually very similar comedically to H vs. R or Mutha 'uckers (gangsta rap about two white guys going to see a movie on a lazy Sunday afternoon), which makes me think that SNL and FOTC are on the same level of comedy (although I do agree that SNL is hit and miss, and FOTC is almost always funny.). Here is "Lazy Sunday", of course this short got HUGE, so I suppose it would be unusual if there is a person on earth, who hasn't seen it. http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/ ... nday/2921/

Another Samberg short that totally cracks me up is the Rastafarian Trent clip about white suburban college kids trying to be Jamaican. I remember some of these types of guys when I was in college, and it just makes me laugh. It also reminds me of the FOTC type of humor. (You can also see "Brahbrah" (Kristen Wiig) as one of the background dancers in the short.)

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/ ... an/787201/

:clap: Yes, mockingbird & Corrine! I feel the same way! Love Samberg and most of his shorts. Can't leave off D*** in a Box! Everyone must've seen that by now but here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgXvR97W ... re=related
(Justin's gf is Kristen Wiig- Brahbrah.)
Also love Lazer Cats! I agree that, like Justin Timberlake they'd have lots of input on skits they're in and it'd probably be damn funny. Even if they came on as musical guests it'd be great...maybe they could do 1 skit or commercial. (Femident toothpaste, anyone? lol)

D'oh! I've been to SmokeCD's and was also thinking the higher price was US dollars. Well- I'm heading over to order it right now! :D

Venus
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:36 pm 
She did indeed have the time of her life

Yeah smokecds.com is in NZ dollars, don't let that catch you out people. Customer service seems to be pretty good with them too. My FTW CD arrived exactly a week after I ordered it :)

Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

mohumbhai mania
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:43 pm 
Can Attack!

Yeah, LauraK, I think they have a currency converter on there, too...

I am bike-cheese!

kellysouthpaw
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:49 pm 
She's like Switzerland

I thought it was also in US dollars because I'm brainless sometimes :roll:

Going to order...NOW! :D

Just ordered Prototype off of iTunes - haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I will soon 8)

Just my input - I was actually watching SNL a couple weeks ago and thought that FOTC could make some good stuff on there! Though, I'm not sure about Jemaine - he's such a giggler I don't think he'd be able to keep a straight face!

LauraK
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:11 pm 
Boom King!

....which woul dmake it even funnier.... :lol:

Corrine
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:21 pm 
Consistently Mediocre

Don't feel brainless, I thought it was $26 U.S. dollars for the past week until I just noticed that little conversion thing on the side. Originally I thought, hmmm, rather pricey, but now I realize it's about average.

I do think Justin Timberlake is rather funny on SNL. Obviously, he's mega mainstream, but still manages a good sense of humor.

Justin Timberlake and Andy Samberg are also funny in the Beyonce single ladies parody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5qx-MVrXfk

songbird
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:57 pm 
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Just on the topic of Folk the World...

Does anybody know if they ship to Canada?

Image Image

Sherry
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:00 pm 
Professional Blonde

songbird wrote:
Just on the topic of Folk the World...

Does anybody know if they ship to Canada?

Yes. IIRC they have a list of places they ship to. Or don't. TBH they ship pretty much everywhere bar the boonies.

songbird
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:09 pm 

Excellent :D
Thanks Sherry.

Image Image

Bad Atom
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:42 am 
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

To expand on my previous point, I have no doubt that the guys would do well on SNL, I just think creatively it would be a step down for them. Their natural comedic style is one of subtle, smart humor that you have to watch again and again to really appreciate all its levels. I'm sorry, but that's not SNL at all.

I'm not trying to be an SNL-basher, but the only time the show made me laugh recently was during election season and that was mostly due to Tina Fey. Otherwise, it's more miss than hit. It's too generic, and FOTC is anything but.

Now if they want to go time-tripping back to 1975 SNL and perform, I'm all for it. :)

LauraK
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:47 am 
Boom King!

More proof of their writing talent is in Venus' sig....:)

songbird
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:12 am 

LauraK wrote:
More proof of their writing talent is in Venus' sig....:)

Very true. That's one of my favorite FOTC quotes of all time. :D

Image Image

Corrine
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:26 am 
Consistently Mediocre

Bad Atom wrote:
To expand on my previous point, I have no doubt that the guys would do well on SNL, I just think creatively it would be a step down for them. Their natural comedic style is one of subtle, smart humor that you have to watch again and again to really appreciate all its levels. I'm sorry, but that's not SNL at all.

I'm not trying to be an SNL-basher, but the only time the show made me laugh recently was during election season and that was mostly due to Tina Fey. Otherwise, it's more miss than hit. It's too generic, and FOTC is anything but.

Now if they want to go time-tripping back to 1975 SNL and perform, I'm all for it. :)

I do agree with you that FOTC is much better than SNL. SNL makes me laugh some of the time, FOTC basically makes me laugh all of the time. And yes, the best part is the subtle humor, and the irony. It's lines like "You can't do it, you're too easily insulted" "I can't believe you just said that!" that make me laugh the most. That's something that is lacking on SNL. FOTC definitely has a higher intelligence factor to it, even when it is being completely goofy. That said, I do think the guys would do great on SNL, because I think they have the talent to contribute to a show by hosting, and they could potentially make a show really good. It's possible that there are a lot of SNL misses lately. I honestly don't watch it like I used to when I was younger. I just don't have the patience to sit through all the commercials until 1:00 am. I did watch all the election coverage and loved it. Other than that I pretty much just check out the SNL clips on NBC.com when I need a laugh. However, if FOTC ever did host SNL, I would definitely stay up until 1:00 am to watch that all the way through.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next