No swooning allowed - For the guys (and ladies too)

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

Re: No swooning allowed - For the guys (and ladies too)

Postby Venus » Thu May 28, 2009 3:25 pm

Yes I absolutely love watching their Amoeba performance! There are too many classic moments to mention including when Bret puts his legs over the guitar and starts playing Prince of Parties, when Jemaine messes up Albi, when they talk about time-tripping, when someone asks Bret to her prom and Bret coming out with the 'not so smart' line with regards to her age. Loved the way they performed 'Most Beautiful Girl' too. Ah man I wanna watch it again now :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Sherry » Thu May 28, 2009 3:33 pm

Corrine, if you want to join the mailing list, without all the hassle (and its the same mailing list as everywhere else) go to their Sub Pop page

http://www.subpop.com/artists/flight_of_the_conchords

and look for 'GET MAIL' and sign up there. You'll get the same notice as MySpace etc does. I also always post pre sale passwords on the site in plenty of time for people to make use of them. And had it well ahead for the 2008 gigs :lol:

I loathe TheArseOfTheInternet and will never get an account on it, regardless of the Conchords or anyone else famous being on there. Never jumped on the bandwagon when it took off and won't go there now. I got the pre sale password same as all those people on there ;)

MySpace is old news now and many people have moved on to FB, Twitter and other platforms. MySpace still has bands etc, but many people no longer wish or like using it.

I'll just say it annoys me somewhat still that their most updated webspace is that craphole of a site. Not everyone wants to have an account there nor do they like to visit it. I so wish and hope they will actually start doing something with their actual site in the future so ALL fans can visit and read without having to have an account for certain things.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Corrine » Thu May 28, 2009 3:53 pm

Thanks Sherry, I'll take a look at that. I really don't want to deal with an account on myspace if I don't have to, although I enjoy looking at their page. I agree that they should work on their own webpage, or have someone help them with it in the future. Obviously, they've been very busy lately, and they need a break, but I would love it if they could keep going with that old site.

I had never heard of the Flaming Lips until it was mentioned in this thread. I assumed they were a new band from the South Pacific. But, NO turns out they are an band from Oklahoma, that has been around for some time. I think I vaguely remember one of their songs from the early '90's. Sometimes I feel so out of it on these things. :doh: I'm learning a lot at this site.
Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby mockingbird » Thu May 28, 2009 5:50 pm

Sherry wrote:I'll just say it annoys me somewhat still that their most updated webspace is that craphole of a site. Not everyone wants to have an account there nor do they like to visit it. I so wish and hope they will actually start doing something with their actual site in the future so ALL fans can visit and read without having to have an account for certain things.

Hear hear! :clap:
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Thu May 28, 2009 5:55 pm

Corrine wrote:I had never heard of the Flaming Lips until it was mentioned in this thread. I assumed they were a new band from the South Pacific. But, NO turns out they are an band from Oklahoma, that has been around for some time. I think I vaguely remember one of their songs from the early '90's. Sometimes I feel so out of it on these things. :doh: I'm learning a lot at this site.

Yeah Corrine, they had that song "Do You Realize" or whatever it was called, it was pretty big around the late 90's I think. I used to know an extremely super annoying guy who was REALLY into them, so it kind of ruined them for me because they always remind me of him. I love the way Bret sings that song, though.
mockingbird

Postby vmh » Thu May 28, 2009 6:28 pm

I had the chance to see The Flaming Lips play at The Hollywood Bowl in 2006. I was only familiar with a few of their songs at the time (I went mainly to see Os Mutantes open for them). What surprised me was that for a band with such a great body of work, their set was kept really short. I think they played 5, maybe 6 songs?

Maybe it's because I've been using MySpace for so long but I don't understand TheArseOfTheInternet references. You could still access the page and read their blogs through MySpace without an account. I see why some people wouldn't want to sign up. I try to keep the number of websites I register for kept to a minimum too. But, in my opinion, MySpace isn't any worse than all the other social networking sites out there. I'm not trying to encourage people to sign up. Heck, I probably wouldn't if I didn't have a page already. Just sayin', I don't know what's so bad about it. Jemaine probably does most of the updating there because it's easy to maintain.

But I do agree-I'd like to see their main website updated more frequently. Or updated at all for that matter.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby mockingbird » Thu May 28, 2009 7:15 pm

I'm actually not crazy about any of the social networking sites. It's just this weird thing I have, I never got into it. Facebook annoys me as well. I don't do Twitter. Although I do love the way other people keep up with Twitter and then tell me what happened, lol. Mabe I'm just lazy. That's entirely possible.

One time when I logged on to MySpace to watch the Amoeba video I got sucked into reading some stuff on there. It was at the beginning of S2 and some elderly lady posted a review of their show on her blog. The review was hilarious, she totally didn't get it and kind of dissed them in an old lady way, lol. So Jemaine posted the review in the blog section of the MS page. Well, people were peed at this old lady! I couldn't believe people were taking it so seriously, lol. They started talking about how they were going to go over to her blog and post all these mean comments at her, etc. - there was a real mob scene developing, and Jemaine had to come back on and be like, OK calm down everyone, please don't go over there and gang up on her, she's just not a fan, lol. So that's one reason I don't like it - people are so dumb. :roll:

Also, another time I was there (again, watching Amoeba) and it turned out that Jemaine had been on just a few hours before, talking to people in the blog section. He had posted about some upcoming Arj gig and someone said they wished they could hear the "funny sentences" Arj was going to say, and Jemaine replied that there would be a DVD so she would get to hear them eventually. Then a bunch of people started posting, saying things like "Ooh, Jemaine, respond to me please that would make my day" and he goodnaturedly responded to a few people, then someone kind of started geting on his case about something and he logged off. SO, that's another reason I don't check their MS page very often. It's pathetic I know but I could totally see myself trying to stalk them on there, hoping to run into Jemaine, and I seriously don't need to encourage that kind of behaviour in myself. Like I said, I know it's lame but at least I recognize that I have this tendency and I try to control it, lol. Also the people over there bug me, like I said before. Although now all this talk about the Amoeba video is making me want to go over there and watch it again. :)
mockingbird

Postby Corrine » Thu May 28, 2009 7:25 pm

I may be wrong about this, but my impression was that it was mostly teenagers on Myspace, which is why I've always felt there was a bit of immaturity on that site, and I never considered it for myself. I have looked at their page and noticed that some of the things people post there as messages seem a little odd (although some are fine). I much prefer being part of this community of fans, as everyone seems to be intelligent and mature, and there are some great discussions.

I'm not big into the Facebook thing yet, but I have noticed that it's an amazing way of finding people I haven't talked to in years. I generally like it, but it's one more thing to check in my day, and I suppose I waste enough time (although it is fun time) here.
Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Sherry » Thu May 28, 2009 7:26 pm

FWIW sometimes their blog updates are set to friends only. So not viewable to all.

And my dislike of it stems from the music players set to blair out hideous songs when you navigate to a members page. And the page backgrounds/layouts/colour schemes that many opt for. Its eye watering. And off putting. Also the HTML is really shoddy (its awful coding). And so many people used to hotlink to my MP3's in the early days it was a real pain. And I know I don't have to look at those pages, but sometimes you like to view things and it just makes for headache inducing computer time for me :roll:

Basically so many people there don't understand or care about good nettiquette I can't bear to go there. And tbh many of the comments left on the Conchords page are really not the sort of thing I can go for or participate in or even really enjoy reading. Just not for me. It's never appealed.

I don't use FB much but what I do like about that is that its well coded and clean to look at and navigate. And no crappy music inflicted on me when I open another persons profile page :lol: Or hideous layouts. None of that crap.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Cuse » Thu May 28, 2009 7:32 pm

The worst part about myspace was the huge amount of spam. That has admittedly gone way done as of late. I hardly see it anymore (but I don't really log on anymore either).

But the music player is murder on my computer. It defaults to auto play, and that usually locks my browser up before I can even click the pause button.

The good (and bad) thing about myspace is that it really is the best place to get tour info. When I find a "new" band I like, and google "bandname tour dates" it usually always directs me to myspace.
Cuse
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby SheWolf » Thu May 28, 2009 7:43 pm

mockingbird wrote:I'm actually not crazy about any of the social networking sites. It's just this weird thing I have, I never got into it. Facebook annoys me as well. I don't do Twitter. Although I do love the way other people keep up with Twitter and then tell me what happened, lol.
I don't care for any of them either so MySpace is no worse than anything else. The only reason I have an account is that I thought that I needed one in order to view certain things on the FOTC page. And the only cool thing to come of it is that I asked Jemaine if we could see a particular pic from Radio City and then voila it appeared so it was nice to feel like I wasn't talking into a void. Most comments there seem to be of the come to my state/country variety as well as you're awesome and spam. Not to mention the cringe worthy -good morning guys hope you are having a great day type stuff as well as the please read my email etc. I'm constantly amazed by the fact that J bothers to look at this stuff.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby DangerMouse » Thu May 28, 2009 8:37 pm

I will admit to having both MySpace and FB :oops: Mainly I use MySpace for bands and FB for friends since alot of my buds tour for a living and do not have a stable location. I do agree about their MySpace page gettin' junked up a bit and with some creepy people, but I tend to overlook it. I am just impressed they seem to be able to keep up with it for the most part. I just thought they went that route instead of their 'official' page because it might be easier to ignore spam and what not.
...if anyone needs me I will be in my office doing madlibs...
DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby songbird » Thu May 28, 2009 9:00 pm

I'm totally not into the MySpace thing either. The only time I ever check the FOTC page is so that I can watch Amoeba. Other than that I really just don't see the point in spending too much time there.
I have FB, and a couple years ago was addicted (who isn't when they first get it?), but now I'm only on occasionally and definitely could live without it.
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image
songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Sherry » Thu May 28, 2009 9:02 pm

DangerMouse wrote: I just thought they went that route instead of their 'official' page because it might be easier to ignore spam and what not.

They initially got an account to prevent imposters etc. I remember Jemaine and I swapping a few emails and I asked him about it. He had RL friends finding 'him' on MySpace and stuff and then adding him as a friend etc. Of course, when they then saw Jemaine and mentioned his MySpace account he had to tell them he didn't have one there. So they signed up to maintain an official page to prevent imposters etc. They both had personal accounts for a while but both pulled them around the time they got too much attention from fans :lol: :roll: Their MySpace page is their only official self maintained webspace on the social networking sites so its bound to get interest. But it still doesn't make it a great place to visit :lol: :hrmpf:

Also as they were then spending so much time in the US, updating their own website (which they did when back in NZ) probably became too much hassle and a MySpace page was easy to manage for them. Jemaine did say it was easy to manage it iirc.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu May 28, 2009 9:07 pm

songbird wrote:I'm totally not into the MySpace thing either. The only time I ever check the FOTC page is so that I can watch Amoeba. Other than that I really just don't see the point in spending too much time there.

You can view the Amoeba vid at their site also. There is a way to save it also, its explained in another thread on the board somewhere.

http://www.amoeba.com/live-shows/videos ... hords.html
Sherry
Professional Blonde

PreviousNext

Return to Flight of The Conchords