No swooning allowed - For the guys (and ladies too)

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

Re: No swooning allowed - For the guys (and ladies too)

Postby vmh » Fri May 29, 2009 6:56 am

Twitter is still somewhat new to me. I use to think it was a waste of time. I was originally going to delete mine after they announced the winner of the Greek Theatre ticket giveaway but after a few weeks, I found it to be useful. I get updates on news, ticket presales for venues and I could easily find out what events are happening in my area. I'll probably continue to use it for that reason. But I don't like the idea of updating people on what I'm doing every 5 minutes. No one needs to know that.

So even though I will admit to having both a MySpace and a Facebook profile, there are a few things I despise about it. The whole social networking site stuff is so bizarre. It's completely changed the way we interact with people. I'm not so sure that I like it. I don't like how it's become acceptable to keep in touch with people over the internet. I know it's convenient but I have some friends on both MySpace and Facebook that I probably haven't seen in months! It's as if keeping in touch online is suddenly enough. Maybe I'm too young to know what it was like before but wasn't there a time when you would phone someone to keep in touch? Or write? And actually get together on a regular basis? I think I've lost touch with a few close friends because of this.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby Cuse » Fri May 29, 2009 8:00 am

I think most people go into Twitter expecting something else and get disappointed. To me, at least, Twitter is more to listen, and not to post. Just follow people and things you find interesting. The downfall is that it'll never be used by everyone. Heck, J&B don't even use it. :D

It's great as a search tool. You can just plug in any search term, and someone is usually posting something about your topic.
Cuse
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Bad Atom » Fri May 29, 2009 8:11 am

^^^
It's true, I found people Twittering about me. Weird.
Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby helgecko » Fri May 29, 2009 9:38 am

I thought I was following Jemaine on twitter for a while.
I should have known better :doh:
It's all about the music.

Image Image Image Image
helgecko
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby LauraK » Fri May 29, 2009 9:25 pm

helgecko- that must've been around the time I joined! I thought it was him as well....about 2 days later, that acct had been deleted. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby vmh » Fri May 29, 2009 9:44 pm

I was guilty of following pseudo Jemaine on Twitter as well. I figured out it wasn't him when he started tweeting pictures of some random guy right before the account got deleted.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby LauraK » Fri May 29, 2009 11:27 pm

I didn't even see that cuz......I never go there! (Rarely...)
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby RubyRed » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:29 am

People don't Twitter about me because I'm just not all that interesting. And I'm okay with that. There are a couple of people that I'm following that I don't want to follow anymore and I'm experiencing some guilt over the knowledge that I'm going to UN-follow them soon. It's the same guilt I feel when I delete a "friend" on MySpace or Facebook. Cyber-guilt is ridiculous.

M
RubyRed

Postby Bad Atom » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:38 am

I'm actually glad the guys don't have real Twitter accounts. I'm happy that Jemaine checks and maintains their MySpace. Even though some people may not care for MySpace, at least the guys have one simple way to keep in touch with their fans and you know it's the real deal.

Although, yeah, they should do more with their official website...
Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby RubyRed » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:17 am

Totally...it hasn't been updated since 2006 or something like that? It really needs a facelift and some more content.

M
RubyRed

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:58 pm

I'm actually glad the guys don't have real Twitter accounts. I'm happy that Jemaine checks and maintains their MySpace. Even though some people may not care for MySpace, at least the guys have one simple way to keep in touch with their fans and you know it's the real deal.

I agree. It's quite nice.

And I joined MySpace for my music friends, who now include FotC and WUIO.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby jillbean » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:06 am

RubyRed wrote:People don't Twitter about me because I'm just not all that interesting. And I'm okay with that. There are a couple of people that I'm following that I don't want to follow anymore and I'm experiencing some guilt over the knowledge that I'm going to UN-follow them soon. It's the same guilt I feel when I delete a "friend" on MySpace or Facebook. Cyber-guilt is ridiculous.

M

Right there with ya on the cyber-guilt; I've made progress in being okay with deleting someone that I have never even met. I got to this point when I was feeling bad about not accepting a friend request from a friend of a friend of a friend. Then this person continued to send messages asking me "please?"

I'm not gonna lie, it was kind of creepy...yet I finally gave in to the pressure and accepted. And then the onslaught of stupid virtual "gifts" and game requests started from these friends of friends and their friends. That did it, they were all OUT.

Next up? Just saying "no" to begin with... ha!
jillbean
Consistently Mediocre

Postby SuzyBatt » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:20 am

jillbean wrote:Next up? Just saying "no" to begin with... ha!

:nod: :thumb:
Easier than saying, "um, I thought we could be friends, but actually no, don't want to be your friend, so go away now please!"
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby LauraK » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:37 am

They should come up with a cyber-order of protection......
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby RubyRed » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:48 pm

LauraK wrote:They should come up with a cyber-order of protection......

Why did my brain immediately say, "Cyber-Condom?"

M
RubyRed

PreviousNext

Return to Flight of The Conchords