It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:50 am

New film from novel Predicament (link in 1st post) SPOILERS

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!

Moderator: Nancy

New film from novel Predicament (link in 1st post) SPOILERS

Postby Sherry » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:45 am

Posting this on the main site as a bit of an exclusive.

Dedicated page on What The Folk! about the film can be found here

http://www.whatthefolk.net/predicament.html

June 4 2009 - New film with Jemaine on board. Starts shooting next month!

A WTF! first (at least I hope so). News just in about Jemaine's next project from a reliable source. A Jason Stutter directed film from the novel Predicament by Ronald Hugh Morrieson will be filmed in South Taranaki in July-August this year. It has a budget of NZ$ around $5 -$6 million and part funding from South Taranaki District Council and The NZ Film Commission. And the plot, as I am sure all the Jemaine fans are wondering is racy comedy crime caper, set in the mid-1930s. Read about the film here.

And if that leaves you asking how do I know Jemaine is attached to this film? Well there is this interview with Jason Stutter where he says

IE: What is next for you?

Jason: We're currently putting together the finance to shoot a comedy-crime-caper feature film, which has Jemaine Clement from HBO's Flight of the Conchords attached. The New Zealand Film Commission have also funded the writing of a couple of my feature treatments.

Read the interview with Jason Stutter here

So yeah, you Jemaine fans have something to talk about again ;) Many thanks to The Spook for the scoop.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Re: New film from novel Predicament

Postby helgecko » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:04 am

Oh wow! That's brilliant!
thanks for the great news Sherry :D :D
It's all about the music.

Image Image Image Image
helgecko
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ravenhpltc24 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:26 pm

Ooh, a new film! I really have to admire how busy the guys keep themselves. They've just finished an exhausting tour and yet Jemaine is right back to work. Thanks for keeping us entertained, Jem! No sight of it on imdb yet, but I'll keep an eye out for any news on this film.
He's gonna wake up in a smoothie.
ravenhpltc24
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Sherry » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:32 pm

ravenhpltc24 wrote:Ooh, a new film! I really have to admire how busy the guys keep themselves. They've just finished an exhausting tour and yet Jemaine is right back to work. Thanks for keeping us entertained, Jem! No sight of it on imdb yet, but I'll keep an eye out for any news on this film.

Its a bit of a scoop and appears to have fallen into place recently. TBH over there in NZ they seem to remain under the radar often. Its far from Hollowwood and I guess they just get on with things quietly.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby vmh » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:56 pm

Oooh, this is exciting news! Hot off the press! Now, we have plenty of films to keep us talking easily into next year.

Thanks for sharing!
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby Val2150 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:22 pm

Sherry wrote:racy comedy crime caper, set in the mid-1930s

Nice! :rock: Can't wait to see this!
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:34 pm

I think Jemaine would be perfect for a 1930's comedy crime-caper. I'm thinking that picture of him with the purple background and the two-toned saddle type shoes with the cape. Like he was a magician. Except this time he'd be a 1930's crime-caper :lol:

If he wore the black horn rimmed glasses circa 1956 Buddy Holly, I'd be mush the entire movie. Just saying.
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby SuzyBatt » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:42 pm

So happy for Jemaine and for us. And also great that he'll be working close to home. His 'attachment' to the film will (or has) no doubt help in financing and also in getting exposure.

Can't wait to learn more!
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby Venus » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:54 pm

Thanks Sherry for sharing this great news! Pretty exciting stuff, can't wait to hear more about it :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Corrine » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:10 pm

I'll have to track down this book...Thanks for the news Sherry!
Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby monsterinlove » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:11 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:I think Jemaine would be perfect for a 1930's comedy crime-caper. I'm thinking that picture of him with the purple background and the two-toned saddle type shoes with the cape. Like he was a magician. Except this time he'd be a 1930's crime-caper :lol:

If he wore the black horn rimmed glasses circa 1956 Buddy Holly, I'd be mush the entire movie. Just saying.

Agreed!!
I know what to add to my summer reading list this year!
"You love the talking stove!
'Aww let's make a cake!"
monsterinlove
New arrival

Postby LauraK » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:16 pm

:dance: Yup to all the above^^^^^^^^

Nice scoop....
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Sherry » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:29 pm

Press update

Eltham eases into movie madness

By RICHARD WOODD - Taranaki Daily News Last updated 05:00 05/06/2009

Moviemakers are wasting no time preparing to shoot a feature length film of Ronald Hugh Morrieson's novel Predicament in South Taranaki.

Director Jason Stutter and producer Susan Rogers from Midnight Productions are already in the area.

They were in Eltham yesterday studying and photographing buildings and street scapes and talking to building owners in the Bridge and Stanners Sts heritage area.

Predicament publicist Sue May said they were "looking around, doing early planning for the film".

The town is buzzing with the news, revealed in yesterday's Taranaki Daily News, that the filming is scheduled for seven weeks in July-August, in and around Eltham and Hawera.

It will be Eltham's second involvement in a Morrieson movie. A fairly large amount of Came A Hot Friday was shot here in 1984. Locals enjoyed that experience and they're keen for a repeat.

But heritage building owners aren't counting the dollars yet, particularly as they were made all sorts of false promises two years ago by now bankrupt film company Fat and Thin Productions about the Charles Upham story that went down the gurgler.

Mark Bellringer, who owns The Bank (former BNZ) with his partner retro retailer Barbara Valintine, says he is still feeling "a little jaded" from the last one.

"A couple of guys came late last year and said they were doing a movie. We didn't take a lot of notice at the time because we've heard it all before. But it looks like this one is going to happen because the director and producer were here all morning today.

"However, I'm wondering why are they only just checking the place out when they're starting to film in a month? They told us they might want to use The Bank, but this is a thriving business, how long could we afford to be closed? I guess we'd be available if the price was right. Maybe we'll get a new coat of paint out of it."

He and others said owners of buildings used in Hot Friday were suckered-in by promises of new paint jobs after the filming ended, "but it was a slap dash job that soon peeled off and I'm sure we won't let that happen again."

The Coronation Hotel was a key building in that movie and was painted red and green for it. The hotel has since been beautifully repainted in Speights brand livery. Co-owner Steffy Mackay has heard the stories from 1984 and she says it will be staying that way, unless the movie company allows her to choose her own painters.

Johnny Schneller, 77, was a regular at the bar in 1984 for Hot Friday and he's still a regular, though no longer working at Riverlands.

He vividly remembers buying a beer for Friday star Peter Bland and how the producers built a mock billiard saloon across the street and then set it on fire.

"It was all done with flames coming out of gas pipes but it looked so real," he said. "If they want me in this movie I'm available."

Rob Hartwell, of Anvil Artistry, said movie company representatives came to see him last year and said they might want to paint the building.

"I said that was okay as long as it didn't cost me. I didn't talk to them today but they were all over the place."

Heather Fyfe who owns Decodence, says Eltham will welcome and embrace the film project. She's a costume designer and supplier with a lot of theatre and a little movie experience and is looking forward to extra business.

"I wasn't here this morning but someone told me people from the production company were saying which buildings would be painted and one would be a saloon and we'd be compensated if the street had to be closed for three days," she said.

"It's good they've been doing some public relations work, putting us in the picture as it were."

Source
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby SuzyBatt » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:16 am

Great, thanks for the update Sherry. I love that the main theme of this artile seems to be about paint jobs for buildings! Now, these people really do have their priorities straight.

Hmm, I wonder if filming will be around the time that dandy lyons will be in NZ... :hrm:
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby mockingbird » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:31 am

SuzyBatt wrote:Great, thanks for the update Sherry. I love that the main theme of this artile seems to be about paint jobs for buildings! Now, these people really do have their priorities straight.

That made me smile too. They're very pragmatic, lol. I agree that Jemaine sounds perfect for a 1930's crime comedy. So much for down time though, huh?
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Next

Return to Jemaine Clement