It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:13 pm

Do YOU think the Conchords should make a 3rd season?

The place for all Conchords HBO convo

Moderator: Venus

Do YOU think the Conchords should make a 3rd season?

Yes! Diffinately! Why are you even asking?
27%
Yeah, I hope so, maybe after they've done some other stuff.
29%
I don't think so, unless they're certain they've got some really great ideas.
31%
No, definitely not. I want to see other things from the Conchords.
14%

Total votes : 49

Re: Do YOU think the Conchords should make a 3rd season?

Postby LauraK » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:56 am

I'm with you, helgecko. I voted no. The show was great- I also never would have known about them had it not been for it, so thanks to HBO and James Bobin and of course, J & B! :)

But, I think it was perfect for what it was, it ran its course, and had an absolute perfect ending. I might "imagine" what a 3rd season would be like but logically, I can't really get there. I mean- they lived in NY, they tried to make it and to an extent, they did. (Hey- they played A Central Park! They wrote a commercial jingle and were [maybe] on tv in it. Etc.) :lol:

But in the end they were deported and we got to see how, even back in NZ as shepherds, they were still making music with whatever was at hand. We knew they'd be happy.

And that's what I want them to be for real, not stuck in some office at HBO writing for hours and hours, then filming and recording and having no time for their young and growing familes.

Maybe one day, they'll revisit Jemaine Clemaine and Bret McClegnie but not too soon. Look how varied their stuff has been from the start of their careers! We're in for some more great things from our guys for many years, hopefully more tours here and there. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Bikkits » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:23 am

Lovely and well-put post, LauraK. Made me feel all nice and warm about the end of the HBO series.
Why do I get double stuffed?
Bikkits
New arrival

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:18 pm

I also voted for 'Not unless they have great ideas'....however, Nonchalant is on the money. They have plenty of material from their own lives - even moving the setting to London or NZ could generate new ideas...would miss Dave if they did that though!

Maybe they could start small, with a 1-hour long episode, and see how that went?
It's a psychological analogy
ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby songbird » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:28 pm

LauraK wrote:
Maybe one day, they'll revisit Jemaine Clemaine and Bret McClegnie but not too soon. Look how varied their stuff has been from the start of their careers! We're in for some more great things from our guys for many years, hopefully more tours here and there. :)

I LOVE their "secret" surnames. Particularly Jemaine's. I mean, c'mon, Jemaine Clemaine? Priceless :roll2:
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image
songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby SheWolf » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:13 pm

Such thoughtful stuff here, really. I think the majority of us are very open to whatever they decide to do, which is nice to hear.

Though the end of season 2 was very final and perfect I would love to see a 3rd season. I trust that they are creative enough to do it well. I also trust that if they didn’t think they could do it well they wouldn’t.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall re: the current status of FOTC. I’d love to know each of their thoughts on everything to do with what has happened to them over the past 2 years in America. On one hand I could see them totally going for more, striking while the iron is hot and providing for their young families. On the other hand they seem like such kiwi creatures, the type who would prefer to be creating at home. A break from FOTC could work either way for them – they could find they miss it and have more ideas to explore or they could find that they can live without it. Regardless, they are in the driver's seat and that's a good position to be in.

While I agree that the TV show was only part of what the Conchords were I’m not so sure that the nature of the live shows prior to their success can ever be replicated. No matter what they do now FOTC will always be a different thing to what they initially imagined. I think they’ve had time to reconcile that. This past tour felt very much to me like them being comfortable in their own, new skins whereas last year I think they were still somewhat stuck between what they used to be and what they were becoming.

I like the idea of them doing a 3rd season in a different place because I agree with helgecko & bikkits that the current scenario is somewhat played out. I’m also open to additional side characters because I found myself rolling my eyes a bit over the predictability of Murray, Dave and Mel this past season. I’m not so sure that those characters have a long shelf life. However the characters of Bret & Jemaine, the naïve, bumbling duo, do have extended shelf life in my opinion. I like the idea of them remaining every bit as naïve yet being thrust into different circumstances, such as fame & because the TV show mirrored their lives in many ways, I find the idea of their characters gaining some measure of success very poetic. However, the poetry of their lines from their Broadway play in the final episode ring loudest in my ears.

Bret: Jemaine, I think we’ve made it in America
Jemaine: Yeah but we mustn’t forget where we came from.
Bret: I remember.....

*sniff*
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby jamesthecat » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:42 pm

i think they should do a 3rd season because:

they are very very modest people and they constantly downplay their talent. yes, in the second season there were a few dud songs (no need for japanese kareoke etc.) but. BUT. i feel that apart from the first episode, every episode had atleast one really good song. a fair few had 2 good songs. just look at episode 2, episode 3, episode 5 and episode 9 cluttered with conchords classics. and they wrote those in around about a year.

yes, season 2. it ended perfectly, for america... i really think they could do london or something. i would miss dave from the old cast and also eugene, murray would still be there of course, but think of all the great british comics they could put in it instead. james bobin is a screenius (screen genius) and big j and little b can come up with another 20 good songs in the next 3 years without even trying. after season 2, they hold all the cards. they can do what they want (so if they want to do season 3, they can do it, in their own time on their own terms, and i know they want to, because they wouldnt say maybe if they didnt want to)

conchords are a full package. theyre not just a live act (whether music, or comedy) theyre not just a tv show. theyre not just an album. theyre not just a radio series. and theyre not just a lunchbox (with the bands name on).

they could easily put stana and hotties in to season 3. though i reeeally dont want to see bus drivers song or jenny on the screen (theyre stand alone live favourites) and there really is no reason why they cant pitch ideas at their own pace, whilst back in NZ living seperate lives with their wives and kids.

all this said. that is of course, if they want to.
jamesthecat
New arrival

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:35 pm

Nicely said, jamesthecat, and welcome btw! :welcome: Glad to have you join us.

Just wanted to say that I loved the japanese karaoke, and Bret doing it, and Jemaine and the randomness going on, on the screen behind Bret. That song gets stuck in my head all the time! :D Those guys are nuts! :supz: More! More! (topic)
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby VaiVedrai » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:31 am

I love the Korean karaoke too, non-ob...I'm trying to leanr the lyrics by ear, and would even want to learn the original Chinese pop song the melody is taken from! 8)
If you don't know the answer, change the question.
VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:46 am

VaiVedrai wrote:I love the Korean karaoke too, non-ob...I'm trying to leanr the lyrics by ear, and would even want to learn the original Chinese pop song the melody is taken from! 8)

It's not an original song? Did they write the lyrics? Does it really say what he's singing, er... does what he's singing really mean what the subtitles say, uh, you know what I'm trying to ask, right?

Sorry, off topic except to say that, this debate would not have been possible without season 2 and so to ensure a future debate about season 4, we must have a season 3. Although in one interview IIRC Bret mentioned when asked about a possible season 3 that they were just going to skip S3 and go directly to Season 4. :whistle:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby songbird » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:52 am

The Korean karaoke is a copy of this other random Korean song, but the words are different...and I have no idea whether or not the subtitles are actually a translation of Bret's singing, but just reading the subtitles totally cracked me up...especially the one that used the name of some sort of beef and then in brackets next to it said "beef delicacy" :roll2:
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image
songbird

Postby helgecko » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:02 am

I loved the Korean karaoke as well, I thought it was brilliant in the context of the show :D

It's amazing how this poll is staying so evenly divided between the "yays" and the "nays".
I didn't realise there were so many other people... um... uncertain about the merits of another season.
It's all about the music.

Image Image Image Image
helgecko

Postby ravenhpltc24 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:54 am

You're right, helgecko, I didn't realize so many people around here were for another season! We've got 12 yay-ish answers and 13 nay-ish answers. That's about as even as they come. I was pretty sure I was in the minority as someone who thinks they could potentially pull off another series...
He's gonna wake up in a smoothie.
ravenhpltc24

Postby helgecko » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:12 am

heh. I thought I was in the minority being dubious about it :lol:

Image Image Image Image
helgecko

Postby ravenhpltc24 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:13 am

:fence:

I see both sides of it. I really just want the guys to decide for themselves, and I'll support whatever they deem is right. I just love their show too much...
He's gonna wake up in a smoothie.
ravenhpltc24

Postby helgecko » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:23 am

Yes well, obviously I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't be all over a 3rd season like stink on cheese, were it to happen :lol:
Despite my somewhat strongly-voiced opinions...

Image Image Image Image
helgecko

PreviousNext

Return to HBO TV series