What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Do YOU think the Conchords should make a 3rd season?
Yes! Diffinately! Why are you even asking? 27%  27%  [ 13 ]
Yeah, I hope so, maybe after they've done some other stuff. 29%  29%  [ 14 ]
I don't think so, unless they're certain they've got some really great ideas. 31%  31%  [ 15 ]
No, definitely not. I want to see other things from the Conchords. 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 49
mohumbhai mania
 Post subject: Re: Do YOU think the Conchords should make a 3rd season?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:43 pm 
Can Attack!

That was pretty funny, I think. Also I see them scoring Omnichords from back alleys.

Minority? Most of the poll voters are either a firm "no" or "not unless they want to do it" which to me reads as a "qualified no". Face it, you're in with the in crowd! :D

I am bike-cheese!

helgecko
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:45 pm 
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Actually, at the moment it's split 50/50 between the yeas and the nays, so no-one's in the minority :)

I have a vision and all I can see
is all of you with all of me
in a world of peace and harmony...

Image Image Image Image

ThreeHoursToNewYork
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:19 pm 
New arrival

Erm...am I the only one who really insanely loves the recorded versions of their songs?

I think the Conchords sound absolutely great on record and are underestimated musically. I first became aware of them through the recorded album version of Bowie, my fave Conchord song for ages, til I heard Mermaids.....I can't wait for the new album, tho I'm a little disappointed they haven't written any extra tracks, since unlike the first album, it seems that the album versions will be the same as the TV versions, albeit with slightly longer edits in places.

So, I seem to be in the majority when I say - not hugely bothered about a third season, I think season two ended perfectly. But I wonder how many people would agree with me that their recorded work is their most current and interesting side. My personal preference would be for them to make a third album, nothing to do with any TV series, they should become legitimate recording artists - recording artists who write comedy songs. I'd love to see what a whole album of Conchords music would sound like, where they're free to just write what they want and not think about plotlines etc.

Let me take you deeper into my darkest fantasy. My darkest fantasy is that they actually pull out all the bells, whistles and milk bottle tops and do a massive "concept" album. Come on guys, this is a genre that's crying out for a pisstake and just imagining how the Conchords would tackle it makes me laugh already. Imagine something along the lines of Tommy, Ziggy Stardust or heaven help us The Wall - but tongue in cheek, with lyrical and musical sendups.

See when you listen to the music, what many don't realise is the amount of musical, non-verbal jokes the guys put in there. Like in Think About It, there's the a capella jam, a purely musical joke (slightly ruined IMHO in live performance when they explicitly describe what they're doing "this is where we break it down" etc); the office sound effects in Leggy Blonde, the steel drums on Prostitute, the opera voice on Rejected, most of Bowie, pretty much anytime Jemaine goes mental and high vocally :lol: . I could go on with examples forever, because their musical humour is every bit as important as their lyrics and scriptwriting.

So go the whole hog dogs, please, pretty please. This is a heartfelt plea from a fan on his knees. Much as I love Sgt Pepper, SMiLE, The Wall, Ziggy etc, I do recognise that there is something pompous and overblown about them, which makes them so ripe and rife for a Conchords pisstake. Just imagine a B&J esque Mother from The Wall, or Rock N'Roll Suicide from Ziggy, or Within You Without You from Sgt Pepper :lol:

I love their music because I can actually listen to it as just music on one level, without having to think "Is this Funny?", but then there'll always be a line that shakes me out of that and makes me smirk, chuckle, quackle or all three. This is why their recording career should be their focus. Also, for all of us who love em live, they can keep doing that. I would have thought they could comfortably record an album every year or every other year, surely that would be easier than doing the TV show. And then they could tour like "regular" recording artists do.

Come on guys - I frankly view you as the comedy Beatles. You deserve the record catalogue to match. :rock:

Sorry for the long post, but in my defence I don't post here very often.

P.S: for an example of the kind of thing I'm longing for from these guys, check out Matt Berry's album, Opium. I love that album but that guy isn't half as funny or as musically talented as the Conchords. If they tackled this sort of thing they would basically rule it. So come on fellas!

Ozpot
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:06 pm 
Getting lewd with the food

ThreeHoursToNewYork, I cannot agree with you more.
I think they are so, so musically talented, and can play multiple insturments, to boot. I would love it so much if they just recorded songs and released albums on their own. I'm not sure about a whole concept album, but a variety of songs would be fine with me.
A song like Bus Drivers Song is more than just a comedy novelty song, to me. It makes me chuckle, but it's heartfelt in a joking way. I listen to it like a normal song.

I enjoyed the television show very much, but a 3rd season would be very repetitive. More band meetings, more gigs, more girlfriends, and the like. It's been done twice, and well, so that's enough.
I honestly want them to focus on other projects together. If they release an album that has nothing to do with the HBO series, I would be overjoyed.
Even an album of B-sides would be wonderful.

SheWolf
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:07 pm 
Boom King!

I can't disagree with anything 3hrstony said. I like those ideas very much.

ATM my feeling about a 3rd season is that if they were to do it they'd have to relocate or make some other major change to keep it fresh. While I loved S2 I didn't love it enough to watch it multiple times (even though I now have the discs, but I'll get around to it) there was a bit of repetition to some of those storylines and I found myself getting tired fast of the seemingly one note Murray and Mel. Frankly I'd love to see them in LA with Greg Proops but that's just me. :)

mockingbird
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:13 pm 
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

ThreeHoursToNewYork wrote:
Imagine something along the lines of Tommy, Ziggy Stardust or heaven help us The Wall - but tongue in cheek, with lyrical and musical sendups.

That would be really awesome.

Quote:
Come on guys - I frankly view you as the comedy Beatles. You deserve the record catalogue to match. :rock:

I totally agree. :nod: They wouldn't be nearly as funny as they are if they weren't so musically talented.

canattack
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:30 pm 
Half a shapely halibut

SheWolf wrote:

ATM my feeling about a 3rd season is that if they were to do it they'd have to relocate or make some other major change to keep it fresh. While I loved S2 I didn't love it enough to watch it multiple times (even though I now have the discs, but I'll get around to it) there was a bit of repetition to some of those storylines and I found myself getting tired fast of the seemingly one note Murray and Mel. Frankly I'd love to see them in LA with Greg Proops but that's just me. :)

3hrs tony. I am so sad I chuckled at that.

DangerMouse
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:41 pm 
Consistently Mediocre

SheWolf wrote:
Frankly I'd love to see them in LA with Greg Proops but that's just me. :)

Only if they promise not to sux the funny out of him again (still do not know how they managed to pull that one off in the first place :shock: )

vmh
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:30 am 
A tasty piece of pastry

SheWolf wrote:
Frankly I'd love to see them in LA with Greg Proops but that's just me. :)

I'm all for this idea, for personal reasons. :wink:

I really like the idea of a concept album. I know there's still a variety of genres they'd like to cover and I could picture a really sweet album cover. Something similar to the way Zappa & The Mothers of Invention mocked The Beatles-Sgt. Pepper's album cover with We're Only in It for the Money.

Val2150
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:20 am 
Stop touching the monkeys

3hrstony, I agree 100%. I tend to feel like a 3rd season is not necessary, as others have said, because the concept was executed so well that to expand it further would be overkill I think. The second season ended so perfectly, and so heartwarmingly, I think to revisit the whole thing would not only be really awkward, but would become repetitive. I LOVE the idea of a whole new album that's independent of the show. The guys are fantastic musicians and I think people tend to forget that.

Whatever they do next, I'll be watching for sure. :D

mockingbird
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:46 am 

canattack wrote:
SheWolf wrote:

3hrstony beats 2minsjemaine hands down. :lol:

vmh
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:48 am 
A tasty piece of pastry

mockingbird wrote:
canattack wrote:
SheWolf wrote:

3hrstony beats 2minsjemaine hands down. :lol:

:roll2:

ThreeHoursToNewYork
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:07 pm 
New arrival

canattack wrote:
SheWolf wrote:

When its with me girl, you only need three hours.....

I'm liking the name 3-Hours-Tony, I might have to change my username.

Yep the Conchords are as massively talented musically as they are comedically, I agree with most of the above and, like Ozpot, basically just any album that has nothing to do with the HBO TV series would be joyful. I think it would be a totally different dynamic for them to write songs because they want to just write songs, instead of thinking about plotlines and so forth.

I'm still rooting for the overblown concept album over everything else - the more overblown the better.

mockingbird
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:20 pm 

:lol:

Ozpot
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:41 pm 
Getting lewd with the food

:shock:

:blush:

:halo:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next