It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:22 am

Age Pryor

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years... it all goes here. Rhys Darby, Taika Waititi, Arj Barker, Nigel Collins et al

Moderator: Venus

Age Pryor

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:28 am

This thread is long overdue. After all, Age was part of the backing band for the Folk the World tour/CD and even gets a shout-out at the end of Nothing Wrong for his bit of backing vocals and playing. He also appears on Bret's Video Kid album, and Bret, in return did some backing vocals on one of Age's songs on the City Chorus album. Bret also helped with sound on the recording of Homerecordings. Then there's the whole WIUO thing, since Age and Bret were the co-founders ...

So yeah, definitely a cohort and an incredibly talented one at that.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Re: Age Pryor

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:10 pm

Where is a good place to start with Age? It seems like he has loads of music out.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:39 pm

He's been involved with various group projects, but when it comes to just his stuff, there's only a couple of albums. Nowhere near enough. ;) I'd recommend starting with his first solo album, City Chorus. It's got a bit of something for everyone. His only other solo album is Shanks' Pony, which is also good, but a bit more esoteric at times. Homerecordings is a great acoustic album that he co-wrote with Tessa Rain.

You can listen to some of the songs from the albums on his website.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones

Postby ItsAllRyche » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:48 pm

If you listened to EVS soundtrack then you have already heard an Age Pryor tune.
It is "I don't want" (on cd its song #9)which he performs with "The Marvellous Medicine"

I love his Shank's Pony cd. awesome!

Another untapped gem from NZ :wink:
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]
ItsAllRyche
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:55 pm

So, we need a history lesson. How did Age meet Bret and Jemaine? I know that he and Taika are close as well. After watching this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl9D4RxSoDU I really want to get my hands on the actual cd to see Taika's artwork more closely. (and lyrics, I need lyrics)

I thought the lisp was fake at first. I love it! He is so original, unique, talented and I'm totally facinated by him. 8)

Thanks for this thread, Indigo. Can we post pix, youtube links, etc?
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:34 am

Sure, post away!

As for how they met, I'm pretty sure Bret and Age went to school together. They're the same age and I think they've known each other forever. Probably much the same with how they all know Taika. All just part of the same Wellington group.

The artwork really is quite nice (although sadly the Shanks' Pony CD does not include lyrics, nor does City Chorus).

Here's an old poster with some of the Shanks' Pony artwork:

indigo_jones

Postby SheWolf » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:21 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:I thought the lisp was fake at first.
Yeah, wow, that's one helluva lisp. :lol:
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:02 pm

How un-self consious and completely full of cool do you have to be to say, "Screw the lisp, what lisp? I'm gonna be a lead singer." He's my idol.

I can't quit watching the video for Shanks Pony (and showing to everyone, so here's for anyone who hasn't watched it yet) Taika directed. And he makes a quick cameo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhT0kv1jVxE

This song is so quirky. It always makes me think I missed the start of the song. I need the lyrics. "You're a love-gone-wrong survivor" and "The number eleven never let me down". Good stuff. I have no idea what he's singing about. :rolls:

My absolute favorite song of the moment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3P0AQgKBMo

Photo: 4everchoncordsfan collection
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:15 pm

indigo_jones wrote:Sure, post away!

As for how they met, I'm pretty sure Bret and Age went to school together. They're the same age and I think they've known each other forever. Probably much the same with how they all know Taika. All just part of the same Wellington group.

Everyone around the music scene in Wellington seem to be pretty tight. I've exchanged emails with a dude from Welly and he was like, "Well, Barnaby just lives round the corner..." :shock:

So, is he married? :whistle: Ha, just kidding. I'll keep this thread swoon free, I promise. But really, I know very little about him and didn't see much on the internet. Tessa?
indigo_jones wrote:The artwork really is quite nice (although sadly the Shanks' Pony CD does not include lyrics, nor does City Chorus).

Here's an old poster with some of the Shanks' Pony artwork:

Thanks for posting that. The drawing of Age really captured him.

I love listening to the New Zealanders talk (oh and Age has the crowd a bit excited when he begins to disrobe) :lol: Lovely song. Anyone know what album it's on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9QOiVfjLOo
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:31 pm

I can't say I haven't noticed the lisp, but I just don't find it that noticeable, especially when he's singing. Maybe I've just listened to him enough for the past four years or so that I don't hear it any more.

nonchalant obsession wrote:
I love listening to the New Zealanders talk (oh and Age has the crowd a bit excited when he begins to disrobe) :lol: Lovely song. Anyone know what album it's on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9QOiVfjLOo

I thought you said you had bought City Chorus. It's on that album.

He doesn't talk about relationships, so I'd really rather not have that discussed here. He keeps things pretty professional.

As for Shanks' Pony, that comes from the term "riding shanks' pony/horse" which is a fancy way of saying you're walking. The number 11 is your two legs. Any deeper meanings are up to you and what you get out of it. 8)

indigo_jones

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:39 pm

No, I downloaded Homerecordings and Shanks Pony. Looks like I'm going shopping again....
indigo_jones wrote:As for Shanks' Pony, that comes from the term "riding shanks' pony/horse" which is a fancy way of saying you're walking. The number 11 is your two legs. Any deeper meanings are up to you and what you get out of it.

:roll2: I love it! How did you figure that out? Is that a common expression? I've never heard it.
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:51 pm

It's an old expression, probably more British in origin. He did discuss it in an interview somewhere, although I don't remember where now.

indigo_jones

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:57 pm

I'm bringing it to the US. My kids are gonna start taking the number eleven everywhere. :D

Photos: probably ages website. I never thought I'd be posting them.
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby DaMango » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:37 pm

I am so glad that the Conchords led me to Age Pryor, what an awesome talent! After watching Eagle vs Shark, I had "I Don't Want" stuck in my head for days. He has a really beautiful sound, and I look forward to hearing more of his music.
DaMango

Postby ItsAllRyche » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:12 pm

I also had "I don't Want" swimming through my head when I saw this thread.

I have to agree with DaMango that I am so glad that through FOTC I was led to new music. My new favs: The Phoenix Foundation, Age Pryor,The Reduction Agents,and Connan Mockassin. And that is just some of the music they opened my ears to! :rock:

Age Pryor is so incredible, I find it's soothing music.
ItsAllRyche

Next

Return to Conchords Cohorts