It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:32 am

Demetri Martin

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years... it all goes here. Rhys Darby, Taika Waititi, Arj Barker, Nigel Collins et al

Moderator: Venus

Re: Demetri Martin

Postby Corrine » Mon May 25, 2009 5:31 am

I started watching some of the Demetri Martin stand up on Youtube and was very impressed. His character on FOTC has only a small part, so I was just curious about him. Obviously, he's a very bright guy. I always liked the dry Steve Wright comedy, and Demetri's comedy works very similarly. My favorite joke of his so far is, "I'm sorry and I apologize are the same thing....unless you're at a funeral." That made me laugh for a few minutes. One thing that surprised me, when looking him up, is how old he is. He's older than Jemaine, but he has a very youthful look. For some reason, when I saw him on the FOTC TV show, I thought he was in his early '20's. I guess not.

Just to chime in on Monty Python, I always loved their absurdity! Although some skits and movie scenes were definitely better than others.
Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby RubyRed » Wed May 27, 2009 1:18 am

Demetri Martin's stand up is great. I love his specials but I'm not really crazy about the show he has on Comedy Central. The best part about it is the stand up he does at the end. The SNL-style sketches don't work very well.

M
RubyRed
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Corrine » Wed May 27, 2009 1:52 am

That's interesting, I didn't know he had a show on Comedy Central. Maybe I'll have to watch it. I've only seen the stand up that I've found on Youtube so far.
Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby RubyRed » Wed May 27, 2009 3:05 am

Yeah, it's called Important Things with Demetri Martin. Here's a link to the official site:

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/important_things/index.jhtml

M
RubyRed
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:03 pm

I like the show a whole lot, but his standup is much better.

I was lucky to see him on Saturday night with a mostly good audience in a lovely theatre. A great, great show, and over an hour and a half of material, most of it new! Both me and my husband were very, very impressed.
:D
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby biscuit » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:18 pm

I just finished watching 'If I' on youtube. I didn't know anything about Demetri, but he was smart and funny. The whole show kind of screwed with my head a little, as I am now sat thinking 'what if....' :worry: Maybe I should be doing something completely different....

Speaking of something completely different; I :heart: Monty Python! I discovered them as a kid when my friend showed me 'Live at Hollywood Bowl' After that I rented all the Flying Circus episodes and the films. My fave film is Life of Brian! It just never gets old for me. 'The Four Yorkshiremen' is the funniest skit...and nobody enjoys a good skit more than I do :wink:

(I noticed another geek in here up for a game of quoting MP... Bring it! 8) )
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)
biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby Venus » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:37 pm

biscuit wrote:I just finished watching 'If I' on youtube. I didn't know anything about Demetri, but he was smart and funny. The whole show kind of screwed with my head a little, as I am now sat thinking 'what if....' :worry: Maybe I should be doing something completely different....

Yes I watched 'If I' recently too and I have a whole new level of respect for Demetri now. At first I only saw a few short YouTube clips and was intrigued but wow, I enjoyed his comedy special and it was quite thought provoking! He is a very interesting character. I'd love to see him live now although I don't think he's been back to the UK for a while. He seems to have done well whilst he was in the UK since I heard he was at Edinburgh Fringe and won an award which led to the comedy special on BBC4. I've heard he's touring around America at the moment so I'm sure people who are able to see him live are having a blast :)

The project he has with James Bobin sounds really interesting, can't wait to hear more about it.
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby mohumbhai mania » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:20 pm

I've heard he's touring around America at the moment so I'm sure people who are able to see him live are having a blast

True, that, and he's playing to small theatres and doing well.

I hope "Important Things" comes out on DVD soon.

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby ItsAllRyche » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:13 am

Hey wanted to revive this thread.

We are going to see Demetri Martin in Anaheim at the end of the month,Yea for me! :supz: right after the premiere of "Taking Woodstock". We are going to do both! I think the timing is very fortunate for us!!

I really love his work, and it is weird because he is so diverse, and all his skits, jokes etc. appeal to me.

:heartbeat: Can't get enough of Demetri, yep its true, his geekiness is appealing to me and my friends and I have a huge crush! (don't tell Arj haha)
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]
ItsAllRyche
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby vmh » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:24 am

I didn't know Demetri is coming to Anaheim. I might go.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby ItsAllRyche » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:13 am

Yep it is August 30th at the Grove of Anaheim. That would be so cool if you went too!!! :D :partyman:
ItsAllRyche

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:38 pm

You should! It is a marvelous show.

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby ItsAllRyche » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:11 pm

Yippee! I hope to see you there! I am going to be there for a few days, mostlly to cool off and then for the shows, well, movie and show!!

Let me know V, if you get tickets! I really would like to actually meet people from this board!
ItsAllRyche

Postby DangerMouse » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:29 pm

Are any of y'all going to see his new movie that is coming out ?
...if anyone needs me I will be in my office doing madlibs...
DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:45 pm

No. I have seen documentaries on Woodstock and the original movie, and it's funny and weird enough that I don't think fiction will shed any new light on it. But that's old cantankerous me.

Demetri looks like he will be absolutely charming in that movie.

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

PreviousNext

Return to Conchords Cohorts