It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:24 am

Age Pryor

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years... it all goes here. Rhys Darby, Taika Waititi, Arj Barker, Nigel Collins et al

Moderator: Venus

Re: Age Pryor

Postby DaMango » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:44 pm

You're right, his music is soothing, and I think it has cast a spell over me, LOL! "I Don't Want" became one of my new favorite songs almost instantly. I even begged my boyfriend to learn how to play it with me, so we can perform it sometime. I would buy the EvS soundtrack just for that song alone, but luckily there's a lot of other great music on there!

Age makes me want to learn the uke so that I can join the WIUO. Oh wait, I'd have to have the money to fly to Wellington as well. :x At least I can dream...
DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:24 pm

Get a uke DaMango. You can join the WTF (not so) Imaginary Ukulele Orchestra.

I'm certainly under the Age Pryor spell, too. I find myself pondering the lyrics a lot. Of course I've been known to misunderstand a lyric or two... :whistle:

"I don't want to live my life imagining I'm in a movie."

"You want her to tell you fast, you want her to tell you slow."

"Since I met you it seems I'm seeing things more clearly than I want to."

"...A winding path on which to wander, time to question and consider, and occasionally a kiss, I'd like nothing more than this."

And 'Singing in my Soul' is so romantic, it makes me ache inside.

Is he working on a new album?
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby funny schipperke » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:37 pm

Wow, Nonch, those lyrics are beautiful. I may have to look into acquiring some of his stuff. :hrm:
Image Image
funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:48 pm

Oh download the few they have on iTunes. You won't regret it.

I've only just aquired 2 new albums and haven't listened to them enough to quote lyrics yet, but the mood he sets...it's irresistable and his music takes me to a place. A place in which I want to linger.

Gah! Is Age involved in the WIUO workshops in Wellington? I wanna learn uke from them. How much fun would that be. Those guys always look like they're having a blast. :D
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:09 pm

He has been involved in the uke workshops in the past -- specifically the group that our own Beck was a part of -- but I'm not sure he took part in the last workshop. He might have been busy with The Woolshed Sessions or maybe even working on his next album. I think he's supposed to have been working on a new album this year, but no idea when it will actually come out. Hopefully not too much longer. That said, he was just about done with Shanks' Pony when he pretty much scrapped it and started over. Hopefully, that won't happen this time.

Here's a little something for you all. It's a podcast interview done with Age Pryor. I kind of know the woman who did it and she asked me ahead of time if I had any questions I wanted her to ask. I'm the one who asked about the film experience and unusual sounds used in some of the recordings. And yes, I'm the Alison mentioned in the interview. I think I turned beet red when I first heard it. :oops:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby ItsAllRyche » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:19 am

Oh yes, for a moment I forgot who you are Indigo...Carrie is so cool! I enjoy her pod's very much. :clap:
ItsAllRyche

Postby nonchalant obsession » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:58 pm

:shock: Wow, that podcast. Heehee, Age giggled a bit when he said, "Hi" to you, Alison. 8) It was very interesting to hear all that he had to say. What an interesting story he has. Crazy that he gave up music for a bit. Thanks for that link Indigo, it filled in so much background for me. His work with sound effects and mixing them into his music... "the sounds accentuate the feelings that the song is after..." :nod: Fun to imagine him and Taika playing sports. (careful with those hands, Age. OK?)

You-all may never see me again as I vanish into this Kiwi by Proxy site. Looks like some good stuff there.

Where's this RedBull site (or whatever she's talking about) and the Woolshed pics?

ItsAllRyche wrote:Oh yes, for a moment I forgot who you are Indigo...

Just who are you? :hrm:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:26 pm

I have no idea who I am. :rolleyes: :lol:

Here's the Red Bull Studios link. There's some WIUO, Age and Woolshed stuff if you go back to 2007 and 2008. Lots of other great stuff, too.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones

Postby nonchalant obsession » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks Indigo. To me you'll always be 'the girl who made Age Pryor giggle' or 'the girl who exchanged emails with Age Pryor and won't tell Nonch more about it'. :wink:

Came across this while wading through the old photobucket.
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:42 pm

That's one of my favorite photos, Nonch. It always make me smile.

Here's another one of Age that's a bit older. It's a screenshot from one of the Fly My Pretties documentaries.

indigo_jones

Postby ItsAllRyche » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:19 am

Oh Alison, sorry to just tossing that out there. I just meant that we have chatted on facebook and on TPF forum. That is all I was referring to. When I read your post I was like "hey good for Carrie! there are lots of people that know her", that is all. :rolleyes:
ItsAllRyche

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:10 am

Photos from the WIUO website
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:53 am

You've gotta see this great interview with Age Pryor & Megan Hosking.

Age is such an incredible sweetheart. Watch until the viry end so that you see how attentive he is to his ukulele student (the interviewer) it is so sweet. Ok, yeah im gushing about Age & I am crazy about him. You can see in this vid how genuine, fun, kind they both are.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Full-interview-with-Age-Pryor-and-Megan-Hosking-/tabid/368/articleID/120742/Default.aspx
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:04 pm

"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan

Postby nonchalant obsession » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:51 pm

That was great. Thanks 4ever. Wow Age's uke is so tiny. It has a great sound though. I wonder what kind it is? (UAS... :worry: ) My face hurts a bit from smiling. I love him. Heehee, polyester!

I must return to my Age Pryor studies. I'm still missing one album. Plus all his Fly my Pretties stuff. Mmmm Barnaby AND Age. 8) (and all the other amazing musos) I really hope he (and the WIUO) comes to America. I've become a bit of a 'collector' of New Zealand musicians and I want him too. :wink:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

PreviousNext

Return to Conchords Cohorts