Futile Attraction

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
/me
Registered Rhymnecologist

Futile Attraction

Postby /me » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:00 pm

I can't remember if Sherry posted this on the site or not (but I couldn't find it in the most recent news). My apologies if it is old news, but for those needing a Jemaine fix, he is in a new movie titled Futile Attraction. Trailer is online at http://www.makemarksmovie.com/main.htm

There's a whole nanosecond of Jemaine goodness! Bret's in the movie too but unfortunately not the trailer.

On a side note, I am really looking forward to Jemaine's upcoming project with Taika Cohen (Oscar nom for Two Cars, One Night) set to begin filming this month, I think. Should be good stuff. Trivia: Taika plays the Chef in Futile Attraction and can be seen in the background of the restaurant scene in the trailer.

These boards are causing some serious issues with my work life, BTW.
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!

Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:20 pm

That was super. Thanks!

Ellen

Postby Ellen » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:31 pm

Here's the link to a press release for Taika Cohen's upcoming movie with Jemaine (second article from the top):
http://www.if.com.au/press/2005/09/02.html
It sounds interesting! Do you think they'll submit it to Sundance? I've always wanted to go there. I guess it would have to be submitted for 2007.

As a side note, Taika Cohen also plays a cook in another film -- the restaurant dance number in Tongan Ninja!

Sherry
Professional Blonde

There is actually a great article online

Postby Sherry » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:56 pm

about Taika

Taika Waititi

I did post about the film, but have been lazy and not put it in the Jemaine section yet. People might of missed it, so thanks for posting about it :D

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:54 pm

Major update!

Having just ordered my copy :whistle: I thought I had better post this here to enable all you Jemaine fans to run to your handbags and grab your credit cards and go do some frantic typing :type:

MakeMarksMovie.com has some news up about buying the DVD of said film.

I've followed this project since its early days when funds were still being raised and am so glad for the maker and everyone connected with the film that it has made it this far. Good on them :lol:

I went for the boring non Kong stamps. I don't need no pictures of furry chested apes when I have the DVD of Tongan Ninja in my collection :rolls: Anyways, I await my copy to see exactly what this film is like. I'm kind of liking my film watching experience is including small independants like this now. In this day and age of the big event movie and mass marketing and big budgets, these little films are true gems. Well some of them. Others are just :shock: Anyways, I'll get the DVD, watch it and report back. If any of you get it before me :thump: So long as you post the odd screen cap I'll forgive you :lol:

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:13 pm

^ OOO OOO! *sprints to wallet* So I won't be able to eat tomorrow - It is so worth it! :D

Thanks for the update, Sherry!

On Edit: The PayPal button doesn't work! :cry: I will have to try again later. *sniff*
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:28 pm

I'm turning into such a sucker for anything F o the C related. Not that I've been disappointed with anything. *bops along to Black Seeds in the background*

I had seen the site/trailer before and was hoping I'd get to eventually see it. Now I will! Thanks for posting the ordering link info, Sherry!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

specialkay

Postby specialkay » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:37 pm

thanks for all the "on your toes" info ladies..your the best! :smooch:
"Growing OLD is mandatory but growing UP is optional" :)
~KAREN~

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:02 am

Okay, I stopped being a complete doofus and actually read the directions for the Pay Pal thing. :bang: All better now. :D
Last edited by Andria on Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm

My DVD is shipping. Posters also 8) 8)

Had an email earlier from Mark about it :) Little bit of info about Jemaine featuring lots in the DVD extras :lol:

Actually, I don't buy these films solely because Jemaine is in them. Thats how I got to hear about them, because of the Jemaine or Bret connection, but I bought Tongan Ninja on its own merits and the trailers cracked me up. Futile Attraction, the plot sounded interesting and I kind of liked the team effort to get it made and wanted to be able to support it in this way. Long live independant movie making and all that 8)

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:31 pm

Sherry wrote:Long live independant movie making and all that 8)

Vive la...independent movie making and all that! :) The whole story of this movie's production is quite wonderful. It's really great that Mark was able finish it and now we can see it!

I wonder who will get their copy first...I don't think mine has shipped yet (no email and such), but I'm then again I'm not really sure I ordered it correctly anyway. :roll:
Sherry has a head start. :P Being able to read directions and everything. :)

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:05 pm

Found this write up over at The Listener

A man who isn't the guy you think he is has shot a movie that isn't what it appears to be.
Mark Prebble has made a movie. This is not the bureaucrat famous for complaining that Christine Rankin exposed "an embarrassingly large amount of breast". For this Mark Prebble, cleavage goes with the job: the 27-year-old film geek and aspiring auteur fulfils his stereotype by working in a videostore. He and one of our highest-paid public servants have, however, been mistaken for each other. There's a review of a film he acted in that attributes his role to "Mark Prebble (head of the Prime Minister's office)".

So the man knows what's in a name. Which raises the question – is he wise to call his movie, an anti-romantic comedy mockumentary that is still unfinished after seven years, Futile Attraction?

READ THE REST HERE

Enjoy :)

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:57 am

I got my copy today! :D Try not to :thump: me too badly.
The movie is wonderfully off-beat. My face aches from laughing. I am so glad Mark was able to complete it. Fantastic job.
If you happen to see the movie, make sure you watch the background plotline. Especially the restaurant scene. Hilarious!
I got a big kick out of a particular scene where the characters are watching a bad version of Pride and Prejudice. The "geeks" are...full on. :roll2:

Note to fellow Conchord fans (who plan on seeing the movie): Don't hold your breath for Jemaine and Bret's roles. Most of Jemaine's stuff ended up getting cut (but you can see it in the deleted scenes) and Bret's is just voice over. :) They play Mr. Darcy and Mr. Wickham in the bad P&P movie. Nevertheless, I would highly recommend the movie! :roll2: *face hurts*

Bad news for people with American DVD players, however. If you have an older DVD player (like me), the DVD won't play. :( Thankfully my Dad has a region free DVD player, so I was able to watch it anyway. Mark did enclose a note with the DVD regarding this possibility. He also said he could get you in touch with someone to legally convert the DVD to any region.

Allora, I don't want to say too much and spoil it for other viewers. :) I'm sure Sherry will write a much more coherent and comprehensive review later on.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:20 am

Andria wrote:I got my copy today! :D Try not to :thump: me too badly.
The movie is wonderfully off-beat. My face aches from laughing. I am so glad Mark was able to complete it. Fantastic job.
If you happen to see the movie, make sure you watch the background plotline. Especially the restaurant scene. Hilarious!
I got a big kick out of a particular scene where the characters are watching a bad version of Pride and Prejudice. The "geeks" are...full on. :roll2:

Note to fellow Conchord fans (who plan on seeing the movie): Don't hold your breath for Jemaine and Bret's roles. Most of Jemaine's stuff ended up getting cut (but you can see it in the deleted scenes) and Bret's is just voice over. :) They play Mr. Darcy and Mr. Wickham in the bad P&P movie. Nevertheless, I would highly recommend the movie! :roll2: *face hurts*

Bad news for people with American DVD players, however. If you have an older DVD player (like me), the DVD won't play. :( Thankfully my Dad has a region free DVD player, so I was able to watch it anyway. Mark did enclose a note with the DVD regarding this possibility. He also said he could get you in touch with someone to legally convert the DVD to any region.

Allora, I don't want to say too much and spoil it for other viewers. :) I'm sure Sherry will write a much more coherent and comprehensive review later on.

Cool :) Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the feedback. Let Mark know what you thought maybe? I'm sure he'd like to know :) I have no idea if my copy has arrived yet as I have not checked my post in a few days. I'm a bit like that :roll: Plus, I am also known for being useless at watching TV or films. With DVD's I order, some I have had for 2-3 years now, or even longer, and still have not got around to watching. Hopefully I'll be in the mood to watch Futile Attraction sometime in the not to distant future. Its not that I don't want to watch them, more that in recent years, I really have to be in the right frame of mind before even thinking of watching something. If I try to watch and I am not just *so* it usually means I only watch some of the film and turn it off and never go back and see the rest as its spoilt for me. I'm weird like that. I used to be able to watch almost anything out there, but my viewing tastes are now far more descerning. As is my patience when watching. I like a broad range of genres and directors/actors, but I just cannot sit through films like I used to. At least not on my own. I don't spend enough time with others now on a regular basis to know how I would be in a group. One off trips to the cinema seem fine. As does watching films and so on with the Bloke (although I am sure he can attest to my falling asleep or being restless on a fair few occasion :roll2: )

Mark had said to me that Jemaine did not feature much in the film, but got some more time in the extra footage. And also, I should add, in case anyone feels cheated by Bret's part only being a voiceover, that was actually made known when he recorded his part. Its not they decided to cut any screen time out of his part, cause he never had any to start :lol:

And re the region playback for people, Mark did say about this possible problem on the site. Hopefully people won't be affected, but if they are he has given details of how to get it sorted.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:05 pm

So jealous! Hopefully it's just a matter of one more day to make it to my edge of the states!

I did notice last night in one of the articles I read about the movie that Bret's scene was just a voice cameo, so I'm prepared for it. I really am looking forward to seeing the movie, though. I thought it sounded really interesting when I first heard of it and now that Andria's given such a good review, I'm doubly excited to see it!

Fortunately, we've got a region-free DVD player, since G has a lot of Italian movies.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”